Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nininchnail

Reaction score
I have a 99 Expy 5.4L EB (had it for about a month now) and I am noticing that the rear end sags a bit compared to the front end. I was told by somebody that the rear air susp can be adjusted- but yet I have no idea where to begin- It needs to come up about 1.5-2"- any suggestions/help on how I accomplish this?
All ideas/help is much appreciated.:confused:

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it is sagging? The fenders on the rear come down lower than the front, making the rear seem lower.

I honestly don't know where you can take some measurements, but I suppose a level on the running boards while the truck is parked on level ground would be a start.

Also, try turning the air system off (there is an "off" switch under the dash in the front passenger seat area - along the side wall. The location is shown with some molded in lettering on the trim). The truck should set down. Simply take some measurements before and after, and if the truck raises/lowers the same, everything should be OK).

OP
OP
N

nininchnail

Reaction score
thanks

I will definitely pull out the level this evening and see what I come out with- I appreciate the input!:)

G

Is this problem new? I know you haven't had the vehicle long, but has it just started being low, or has it been like that since you've had the vehicle?

I assume the Check suspension light isn't coming on. If its not coming on, the module isn't "seeing" a problem.

I think the easiest thing to do, is to turn off the suspension switch, then crawl up under the rear of the vehicle and loosen the bracket that holds the bottom part of the sensor. The sensor is the accordion looking part hooked from the chassis to the rearend.

Loosen the 13mm nut and move the sensor up about a 1/4 of an inch, then tighten. Turn the suspension switch back on then turn start the vehicle. Does it raise up?

Reply here or contact me here: http://www.americanairsuspension.com/CONTACT US-1.htm

G

It can be adjusted, 1 think there are 3-4 settings. I had the dealer do it when I had my '99 it did the same thing. The dealer thought I was crazy until we put a level on it and I showed them. I am not sure if it was a switch or what. I had problems with that air-sys. that's why I got my '03 without it.

G

The Expedition doesn't have 3 or 4 positions, what it has, is about a half inch of adjustment to slide the sensor on. The snesor could have been loose or the prior owner could have adjusted it that way.

To my knowledge, about the only trouble they had on the Expeditions was the junk compressors they put on them.

racerock

Reaction score
Originally posted by BLUECOLLAR
To my knowledge, about the only trouble they had on the Expeditions was the junk compressors they put on them.

I'm going to search this forum, but I think the compressor on my 2002 is making a noise. There is a big rumbling noise from in front of the passenger dash area, like it is on the inside of the firewall. It happens occasionally when you first put it in gear (I know it happens in reverse). It make a noise for about 5-10 seconds and quits. I was thinking it may be the compressor kicking in to pump up the system.

I've had a Range Rover with Air suspension (which actually has a better functional design than the Expy), And I've done repair work to it (which is usually done by a shop). I need to get the factory service manual and start diagnosing... Just picked this 2002 up yesterday.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2