Alarm going off after exiting and locking the vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrentM

Reaction score
I have been having an alarm issue that I wanted to see if anyone has any idea of a possible cause.

New 2020 Expedition Limited. After exiting the vehicle, locking it and walking away, about 1 in 4 times the alarm will start going off when I am around 20-30 feet away from the vehicle.

My initial thought was I was accidentally hitting the panic button on the FOB. I took the FOB apart and disabled the panic button. Issue continued to happen so that wasn't the cause.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been having an alarm issue that I wanted to see if anyone has any idea of a possible cause.

New 2020 Expedition Limited. After exiting the vehicle, locking it and walking away, about 1 in 4 times the alarm will start going off when I am around 20-30 feet away from the vehicle.

My initial thought was I was accidentally hitting the panic button on the FOB. I took the FOB apart and disabled the panic button. Issue continued to happen so that wasn't the cause.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My thoughts are - you should take the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis and repair. And, why would you disassemble and alter the key fob? Why wouldn’t you just carry it as you waked away from the vehicle, and ensure you were not accidentally pushing the panic button?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess is it’s your interior motion sensor. Do you have a dog in the car? Kid? Furby? Water bottle reflecting light? Dangly air freshener? Really anything that makes the slightest movement? Because that will trip the internal sensor and trigger the panic alarm.

When you turn off the vehicle, disable the interior sensor (pick “perimeter only”). See if that helps.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I left the skylight open a bit one time. The alarm went off. A lady bug had flown in and tripped the motion detector!

I REALLY wish you could set "perimeter" as the default. I travel with our dogs a lot and frequently forget to select it and they trip the alarm. My wife thinks the dogs will get trained to stay motionless before I get trained to remember to switch to "perimeter".

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I left the skylight open a bit one time. The alarm went off. A lady bug had flown in and tripped the motion detector!

I REALLY wish you could set "perimeter" as the default. I travel with our dogs a lot and frequently forget to select it and they trip the alarm. My wife thinks the dogs will get trained to stay motionless before I get trained to remember to switch to "perimeter".

I’m pretty sure you can, but I don’t remember how. Many moons ago I picked “perimeter only” and then did something else and it’s never asked me since and the motion sensors are off.

mhExped

Reaction score
My interior motion sensor kept going off one day...took me forever to find (and eventually get rid of) a small black fly that had gotten trapped in the interior.

Also, I too have tried defaulting to perimeter only when prompted on vehicle shutdown, but it resets upon each restart for me.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My interior motion sensor kept going off one day...took me forever to find (and eventually get rid of) a small black fly that had gotten trapped in the interior.

Also, I too have tried defaulting to perimeter only when prompted on vehicle shutdown, but it resets upon each restart for me.
A fly?!? That’s far too sensitive.