Alternator Cable Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoobMech

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post here. As my username says I am a DIY Amateur Mechanic. Great money saver and I prefer learning how to do things, but being new I may not explain my issue correctly so please let me know if I need to clarify. So to the issue.

I have a 2001 Lincoln Navigator and while looking for reason's why my car wouldn't start without a jump I saw that the cable that run's from the Alternator (ground and plugin connector) was halfway sheared through, as it was resting against a pulley. I need a replacement part but everything I find has only the plugin connector on it with no ground wire, or the opposite end that connects to the metal posts that the battery cables connect to as well as a plugin connector (sorry no idea what it is). Any chance there is a all in one for sale that I can purchase or if I have to do it separately, can someone maybe detail the part numbers I will need so I can do that. Provided are pictures.

On this picture the cable is the one on the bottom post, all black.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ordqe96n7i0uxe0/20150801_192917.jpg?dl=0

The opposite end that connects to the ground and the plugin connector.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlf62hkrk80ogg6/20150801_213500.jpg?dl=0

I removed the cable from the terminal post near the battery and disconnected it from what it was plugged into. This is just a closeup.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wpzlze80q4p4bk/20150801_213445.jpg?dl=0

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the first pic, if you are talking about the @4 gauge black wire that is connected to the lower lug on the starter solenoid, that isn't a ground - it is hot when the solenoid engages.

If the other end of that cable connected to a stud on the alternator, then that is the output cable from the alt to the battery.

You can source that from the dealer, junk yard or make a new one.

Let me know if you want to make your own, that is part of the class I teach.

Since you are new at this, anytime you are dealing with electrical it is best to disconnect your power source - negative first then positive. Reattach pos first then negative.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NoobMech

Reaction score
If I'm understanding this correctly there are two separate cables then inside the housing cable of the pictures posted. One being the Output cable from the alternator to the lower lug, what is the other cable that plugs in to the alternator on one end and another connector piece under the solenoid starter? I'll attempt to check a couple of local Junk yards first before trying to create a new output cable.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the diagram for yours but the smaller cables are usually the field coil wire and sense wire.
You can use the gauge of the wire as a guide for how much current can go through the circuit. Bigger wire means more current.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr