Another Cam phaser question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At the risk of doing this inappropriately, I'm copying the post I made in another cam phaser thread. With a TSB on the NHTSA web site, it certainly seems like you should be able to get a Ford dealer to do the warranty repair as it states in the TSB. Try another dealer. It's only 10 hours plus parts at ford warranty reimbursement rates so I doubt Ford is the issue (i.e. it's probably on the order of $1k or so that Ford pays for it). Since dealers get paid less, if they are a busy shop they might not want to schedule the time at a reduced rate. So just find another deaier who is happy to have work regardless. It's not like they lose money on warranty work.

Aloha,

This TSB seems to suggest it is supposed to be repaired under warranty. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180531-0001.pdf
Which I will be asking for as my new to me 19 is making the ticking noise.
The TSB says it affects vehicles built before 10/31/19, and includes some 2020’s.
This seems like a straightforward request; we shall see …

Mahalo
Here is a link to the updated TSB (which superseded TSB #20-2315 posted in the link above) : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10191176-0001.pdf

And a link to a special satisfaction campaign regarding the matter: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199482-0001.pdf

Last edited:

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, that "software fix" seems like a real scummy solution to a problem that Ford doesn't want to address properly. Almost embarrassing. Why isn't the automotive media all over this? Oh yeah, we don't really have one anymore. They just write about wi-fi and cup holders now in the foreign brands that advertise.
Cause the software update is a good fix for vehicles that don't have phaser issues yet. It builds oil pressure into them prior to start which prevents the issue of them starting dry which is what causes the issue.

The software update has to be performed first now before Ford will approve phaser replacement even if vehicle already exhibits phaser issues.

Get the update done and then if dealer won't do the phaser fix open a case with Ford directly getting it approved directly with them.

Michael D Morris

Reaction score
The Ford app on my phone says that I got a recall notice for reprogramming to address the cam phaser issue. Has anyone had this done and did it work?

2019 Expedition Max Limited

Waldo78

Reaction score
I really want to sell my 2019 exp, but it has the cam phaser issue and i really dont want to **** that off on someone else, however, my dealership wont fix it. Laundry list of excuses from a bad oil filter causing the problem to there is a software fix coming... Does anyone know of escalation point within ford that have worked to get it fixed or can i use an outside mechanic to do the warranty work? It only has 28k miles on it and also has the extended warranty so this should be a no brainer to get warranty work approved.
thx
I have a 2018 Exp with the phaser issue. My local dealer did the software update, it did NOTHING.... The dealer didn't seem to have any interest and replacing the phasers and said the noise had stopped after the software update, It has only gotten louder. For morning start ups I hold the gas pedal to the floor for 3 or 4 seconds while the engine turns over to get some oil to the top end of the engine otherwise it sounds awful!
I called Ford corporate customer service. They are aware of the cam phaser issue. (This issue is know as " Customer Satisfaction Program Code" 21N03. Ford acknowledged that my vehicle had this phaser issue and gave me a case number.
GOOD TO KNOW..... Ford will cover 100% of this phaser repair if the repair is done prior to 69,900 miles on the vehicle or 12/31/22. once you get over the 69900 miles they will start to only pay a certain % of the repair cost and I'm not sure what they will do for you after 12/31/22.
I have 66+K on my vehicle now and planning on getting Ford to pay 100% of the cost. I have received an email from my assigned "case worker" and it seems like I am making some headway, keep you posted.
My other concern is finding the right dealer to perform the work. This is a BIG job, literally disassembling a large part of the engine.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard to understand. My 2018 developed cam phaser issue around 45k miles. I have had all maintenance done by my Ford dealer where I purchased the truck new.
I took my truck in with video of start up noise. My dealer (which is not all that large) give me a new loaner Explorer and replaced the cam phasers.
I recently received notification via Ford Pass to bring my truck in for the command module re-program related to cam phasers. I will schedule this service. Sorry for your difficulty.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Used Expy prices have not come up like others. I was considering trading but saw kbb shows mine worth the same as it would have been before the chip shortage.

I am so disolutioned with Ford and this 5.4 3. I've had fords since my 71 pinto in 78. This engine pissed me off so bad. It's getting ready for phasers and chains for $2k, in a week.

Kreis

Reaction score
I really want to sell my 2019 exp, but it has the cam phaser issue and i really dont want to **** that off on someone else, however, my dealership wont fix it. Laundry list of excuses from a bad oil filter causing the problem to there is a software fix coming... Does anyone know of escalation point within ford that have worked to get it fixed or can i use an outside mechanic to do the warranty work? It only has 28k miles on it and also has the extended warranty so this should be a no brainer to get warranty work approved.
thx

Kreis

Reaction score
Here is a link to the updated TSB (which superseded TSB #20-2315 posted in the link above) : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10191176-0001.pdf

And a link to a special satisfaction campaign regarding the matter: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199482-0001.pdf
My 2018 is in the shop now reprogram does not work they want to remove the whole front end to repair cam phasers . No I don’t want my car broken apart and repaired at 54;000 miles paid 75,000 and this is not good . They say it probably will happen again down the road after fix . We are in touch with Ford Rep they can buy it back . I have had this going on since we purchased it and a ticking in motor . They told me run better grade of gas . Until recall they had no clue what is was .
had to reprogram ac it quit at 20,000 and is acting crazy again I push auto button off and radio comes on , push radio on and ac quits , now the ac in the back The fan knob does now work 1200.00 to replace module hahahaha . No not paying it . Mirro where clicking and getting stuck first 500 miles they reprogrammed them . In my family we have 4 new expeditions and 3 new trucks my was the one built in 2018 has plastic oil pan and bad cam phase . The 2020 so far are ok Gas F250 has stiring issue had to be repaired recall will cause a major accident extended the warranty on those for free . Ford has nice vehicle but issues . So does the rest of the companies What do Ya Do

Kreis

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Exp with the phaser issue. My local dealer did the software update, it did NOTHING.... The dealer didn't seem to have any interest and replacing the phasers and said the noise had stopped after the software update, It has only gotten louder. For morning start ups I hold the gas pedal to the floor for 3 or 4 seconds while the engine turns over to get some oil to the top end of the engine otherwise it sounds awful!
I called Ford corporate customer service. They are aware of the cam phaser issue. (This issue is know as " Customer Satisfaction Program Code" 21N03. Ford acknowledged that my vehicle had this phaser issue and gave me a case number.
GOOD TO KNOW..... Ford will cover 100% of this phaser repair if the repair is done prior to 69,900 miles on the vehicle or 12/31/22. once you get over the 69900 miles they will start to only pay a certain % of the repair cost and I'm not sure what they will do for you after 12/31/22.
I have 66+K on my vehicle now and planning on getting Ford to pay 100% of the cost. I have received an email from my assigned "case worker" and it seems like I am making some headway, keep you posted.
My other concern is finding the right dealer to perform the work. This is a BIG job, literally disassembling a large part of the engine.
If you get it done they say make sure oil is changed also and some folks say it shows back up after 3000 miles . My engine taps so loud it sounds like a diesel . Yes we change oil regularly even was tol go to synthetic more expensive and we did still not helping . How do you know if they get it back correctly so hard to trust them . Ford try to go cheap and we are paying for it .

OP
OP
C

cdog2964

Reaction score
how did you get them to give you a case number? I called customer service and they basically told me to take it back to the dealer. Im talking to a lemon law lawyer tuesday that said hes familiar with this issue and has some avenues we can take. However, that will start costing me money so i would rather go the customer service route.