Another Cam phaser question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cdog2964

Reaction score
Theres no point In fixing them. They don't hurt anything, and it has warranty. Just dump it.
I wish i could figure out how to post a video on here because if you heard what it was doing, there is no way its not having an effect on the overall life of the engine. Its literally ~5 seconds of grinding before it starts, then ~5 second of ticking.

stimul8

Reaction score
I really want to sell my 2019 exp, but it has the cam phaser issue and i really dont want to **** that off on someone else, however, my dealership wont fix it. Laundry list of excuses from a bad oil filter causing the problem to there is a software fix coming... Does anyone know of escalation point within ford that have worked to get it fixed or can i use an outside mechanic to do the warranty work? It only has 28k miles on it and also has the extended warranty so this should be a no brainer to get warranty work approved.
thx
I bought a 2021 two weeks ago. Started hating the car, so I tried getting rid of it. Who knew the dealerships would only offer me $48k with only 200 miles on it. These damn cars depreciate like a *****!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2021 two weeks ago. Started hating the car, so I tried getting rid of it. Who knew the dealerships would only offer me $48k with only 200 miles on it. These damn cars depreciate like a *****!
Every new car does that. Drops a ton the moment you drive it off the lot.

OP
OP
C

cdog2964

Reaction score
That doesnt see right. I just sold mine to carmax for $49k and it was a 2019. I would check elsewhere. Carmax and dealerships are paying top dollar for these things.

Jigstick

Reaction score
FWIW I was at my dealer today regarding 21-2119 TSB. Asking to my have my cam phasers replaced. I was told that a new update was released yesterday Sept 13, 2021 regarding the cam phasers. Ford is now reverting back to having the PCM reprogrammed. If any transmission issues arise after the reprogram they then flash the PCM back to factory settings and only then will they rip into the motor.

They printed out of the document that Ford Corporate sent to them, and gave me a copy. if anyone wants to see it I will upload it.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if the PCM flash doesn't cause transmission issues, but still results in noisy cam phasers, then they won't replace the the cam phasers? Please forward a copy of the TSB or post it since I'd be interested in reading it.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Jigstick. Yes, please upload the letter. I am going tomorrow for an oil change and they may apply the update.

mhExped

Reaction score
They printed out of the document that Ford Corporate sent to them, and gave me a copy. if anyone wants to see it I will upload it.
I too would like to see that letter, if you don't mind the hassle of uploading.

I've already had my cam phasers replaced once, but the trouble has returned and am about to take it in again. I want to make certain expectations are clear with the dealer related to this (revised?) recall and corporate Ford instructions related to it.

Thanks in advance!

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took it in last week for the update and was notified that Ford will send official letters on September 27th, 2021 regarding extended warranty.

Jigstick

Reaction score
That’s what they told me as well. Letters being sent out end of sept. So we should all get something from Ford directly.