Another exhaust thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad it worked out. Have to remember that one for my,2000. Was their any power increase? Or did that part stay the same?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Glad it worked out. Have to remember that one for my,2000. Was their any power increase? Or did that part stay the same?

I wouldn’t say power “increase” but it did improve back to OE spec. I used to know when my son pulled in to the garage by the low rumble, now you can’t tell the truck is pulling in.

I was just going to start a new thread asking why are these trucks so slow.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep in mind if you've got the 4.6 smaller motor, depending on your year. 99 and newer had only 240 horses, less on 97,98. Mine has 260 with the bigger 5.4 motor. Trying to propel a 5800 pound sheet metal brick down the road isn't easy, especially climbing grades. Mine feels fine till I climb a freeway grade. The newer 05-08's got bumped to 300 hp, 09-14 are the zippiest with 310 ponies. Considering your engine if the smaller one, you never stated a year or motor in your posts, was actually put in Crown vics and mustangs, vehicles that are 2,000 pounds lighter, it's amazing they torque along as well as they do.

crazyjerry

Reaction score
I have a 97 5.4 expedition and have mellow roar to it, i thought it had a after market muffler on it until look under it for something else and a big hole in the muffler, need to change it, going for something a little more quiet. still working on my door locks, so far i have 3 bad switches on the doors, no fun changes them.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
After paying off bills due to Christmas, I'm planing on installing the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler on my 1999 EB 5.4 4x4 myself. With 231,*** miles, the stock muffler has a long rust slit along the seam. Sounds like crap to me but our kids like it?
Here's a video I found while researching. It has four mufflers swapped out for sound comparison, except it's on a Chevy 5.3 Silverado. The Vortex starts around the 10min mark. I've been able to find it pretty cheap from about $30-40 too!

Has anyone installed the Vortex on a 5.4 here? Thoughts/opinions....?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My problem with Walker is their mufflers tend to be loud, no matter how they are advertised and I've had more than one "stainless" ones rot off the car in less than 24 months. Used to be a good, Pennsylvania company. I don't know what happened to them.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After paying off bills due to Christmas, I'm planing on installing the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler on my 1999 EB 5.4 4x4 myself. With 231,*** miles, the stock muffler has a long rust slit along the seam. Sounds like crap to me but our kids like it?
Here's a video I found while researching. It has four mufflers swapped out for sound comparison, except it's on a Chevy 5.3 Silverado. The Vortex starts around the 10min mark. I've been able to find it pretty cheap from about $30-40 too!

Has anyone installed the Vortex on a 5.4 here? Thoughts/opinions....?

I have the Dynomax Super Turbos and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any of the really thick flowmaster style ones will work pretty well. The ones like a tank are what I like. The thin standard muffler style rust out too quickly.
I had to look up the vortex.
When I hear Cherry Bomb I think or the original ones. Glass pack tube mufflers.
They almost never rust out and you can rip them off and go "Walking Tall" style if you need to.
They are a little loud but might be ok improvement over open muffler or pipes.
They use to be 16.97-19.99 each, but I used to weigh 165lbs too.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
My problem with Walker is their mufflers tend to be loud, no matter how they are advertised and I've had more than one "stainless" ones rot off the car in less than 24 months. Used to be a good, Pennsylvania company. I don't know what happened to them.

This one is very quiet. Don’t know how long this Walker SS muffler will last but I’ll post if it falls off anytime soon!