Another Expedition Wrecked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
by the picture, you and your family are lucky to be alive.
prayers for you all to heal completely

my parents were hit last summer on on a two lane...their car disintegrated like the expy..that energy disbursement saved lives. he stopped and pulled over and she still hit him at 70 mph
modern crash worthiness is worth its salt

20180604_095106.jpg

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All that horrific damage and your power boards still deployed when they cranked the doors open. And mine have been babied and caressed gently their entire lives and they are seizing...
a266e9431f389f483170479f2090bf8e.jpg

Glad you’re doing well. That was a horrible accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 28980
Expedition, news people or reporting fhp didn’t look at my vehicle.

Wow. It held up fairly well all things considered. The older vehicles might have been bigger, but today's designs and safety features save lives that would have been lost back in, say, the 70s. I'm always amazed at the accidents people survive these days (myself included). Glad you all made it.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At 28,000 pounds, the modern full-size, 20 ton dump truck is a massive force when in motion. Our 6,000 pound trucks are at a disadvantage of almost 5:1 on mass alone. That you and your family survived is very simply, proof of God. The math doesn't support you surviving, not a chance. I felt the force of one of those truck only very minorly and it was impressive and I instantly knew my truck had no chance of moving his.

I've said before that the only reason I drive an expy is because I am making a choice to minimize dying in a car crash. Yes the room is nice but my kids are all long grown & gone. I'm still single(for a while anyway) but I know the value of mass combined with modern construction techniques and know that in an incident with most other vehicles, I'm at very low risk. Even my slk, while a fun 2 seater conv was selected because of it's Warthog-like passenger compartment with actual guardrails in ea door.

I'm happy for you & your family and frankly, amazed that any vehicle survived a minimum force of over 12,700 newtons if the truck was only moving approx 3' per second(@85mph, it would have been moving 41 times that) ......enough to keep it's occupants alive.

To put this into perspective;

2300 newtons will crush a human skull

Just amazing....someone in that was in your truck that day has a mission to fulfill......

jeff

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully mine won't be that bad. I'm waiting to bring it in to start the repairs.
Barry, any update on the condition of your Expy? More important, how are YOU doing after all of this? Hope & pray, no damage to your back (been there, fellow veteran).

superfordfan

Reaction score
I feel your pain and I'm glad your ok. We had a similar accident last year when we were rear ended by a Nissan Altima at 75 MPH on the freeway. Needles to say, the altima was totaled and our 2011 Limited drove away with a mashed up rear bumper and a bent hitch. Miraculously, that's all the damage that happened short of other minor cosmetic damage. We were all ok. I gotta say, I was very impressed with the toughness of the vehicle and how it protected us.

Reaction score
by the picture, you and your family are lucky to be alive.
prayers for you all to heal completely

my parents were hit last summer on on a two lane...their car disintegrated like the expy..that energy disbursement saved lives. he stopped and pulled over and she still hit him at 70 mph
modern crash worthiness is worth its salt

View attachment 28981

Wow that’s terrible, I hope they are ok!!
Thank you for the prayers, we are doing a little better every day. The most important thing is we are all here together!