Another fuse box replacement ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp6940

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this! About 3 years ago I had the pgmfi? Relay go bad on my wife’s. I think it was the middle relay on the fuse panel.
Any I decided to disassemble the box-LOTS of fun. Pulled it apart and was able to see where the board had gotten hot and almost melted the epoxy. I believe I got a new relay and soldered the board. Worked fine but this is a known problem with these year trucks.
I would like to get a replacement soon but it’s still running fine. If I could just get rid of this damn p0422 cel I would be happy. How do I check the front and rear solenoids to know if they are functioning or how to pinpoint my issue? No open hoses that I can see. I replaced the fuel pump about a month ago and it started after that. Got a new fuel cap and it went away. Then it just came back again...

OP
OP
Hamfisted

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can also get these board relays for $3.55 each w/$7.99 shipping at: https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=Omron+G8QN-1C4-DC12
I removed/replaced all 4 on my board. These are the 20amp relays that the newer boards have.

Rick those G8QN relays ARE the 20 amp relays for sure. But I had a fuse box built in November 2013 and it still had the Omrom 15 amp F-series relays in it. I don't think FoMoCo went to 20 amp until they went to the Panasonic relays sometime after 2015. My newest one is a November 2020 build and it has the Panasonic relays and they are 20 amp.

jp6940

Reaction score
Would the 20amp be a better choice? I’ll assume the 15 amps were not allowing as much current to flow and got hot in the process?

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rick those G8QN relays ARE the 20 amp relays for sure. But I had a fuse box built in November 2013 and it still had the Omrom 15 amp F-series relays in it. I don't think FoMoCo went to 20 amp until they went to the Panasonic relays sometime after 2015. My newest one is a November 2020 build and it has the Panasonic relays and they are 20 amp.
2005 went to the 20a Omron G8QN relays, away from the 15a Omron F8VF-BA relays. 2008 Ford went to the pump driver module and had to remod that because of dissimilar metals touching & fouling it.
I have not had a problem in past 3 years, but I don't drive a lot either anymore.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would the 20amp be a better choice? I’ll assume the 15 amps were not allowing as much current to flow and got hot in the process?

I would have to say yes until proven otherwise. I just do not care to have extra wire/relays hanging around under the dash. My old 85-86 Ford diesels, not so bad. They are for working hard anyway, not for looking clean. Easier to get under dash also.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, I did find 2 'cheap' boards at local pick and pull, retrofitted them to the updated relays in case of a problem with my present one. Easy replacement if needed, since I know what I have is better.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Arguably the most essential, useful, informative and HELPFUL thread on the entire forum site for those with a 2003 as this is a serious known issue that must be addressed preemptively. I congratulate all the contributors and appreciate their sharing.

JB1258

Reaction score
I have a 2004 pain in the ass I am on my second fuse panel the one thing I did do is. I took the bolts out of the passenger seat and just scooted it back it made working on this so much easer just a little food for thought I had my first panel rebuilt and then it started giving me all kind of problems so I changed it out again