Anti-Theft Alarm randomly activating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bones

Reaction score
My Anti-Theft Alarm is now randomly activating. It happens while it is parked, locked and unoccupied. The neighors weren't happy about it the other night at midnight, nor was I. I unlocked it and in the morning tried to figure out a cause and found no reason. It happened a couple more times so I disconnected the battery and re-connected an hour later but the alarm activated again several hours later. I reviewed the manual and it said if there are problems take the Expy and the two remote controls to the dealer. I haven't made the dealer appointment yet.

Questions for my fellow Expy owners:

#1. If I manually locked all the doors (instead of using the remote lock button) would that set the Anti-Theft system?

#2. Any way to disable the alarm?

#3. Anyone had this problem and taken it to the dealer?

#4. Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Anti-Theft Alarm is now randomly activating. It happens while it is parked, locked and unoccupied. The neighors weren't happy about it the other night at midnight, nor was I. I unlocked it and in the morning tried to figure out a cause and found no reason. It happened a couple more times so I disconnected the battery and re-connected an hour later but the alarm activated again several hours later. I reviewed the manual and it said if there are problems take the Expy and the two remote controls to the dealer. I haven't made the dealer appointment yet.

Questions for my fellow Expy owners:

#1. If I manually locked all the doors (instead of using the remote lock button) would that set the Anti-Theft system?

#2. Any way to disable the alarm?

#3. Anyone had this problem and taken it to the dealer?

#4. Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

I’d bet you a dollar it’s the motion alarm inside. You probably trapped a fly. Ha. Good luck!

Lukewang01

Reaction score
Had that happened to me a couple of times, but not as often as yours. I just ended up using "perimeter only" setting and that seems to does the trick.

retired_chemist

Reaction score
My old greyhound would lie peacefully on the second seat after I locked my 2019 Espy XLT. No alarm problems. My new greyhound sets off the alarm within ten seconds after I leave the vehicle. Is there a way to to set outside alarm functions only?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My alarm went off tonight. It was shortly after it started raining. I had left the sunroof in the vented position. Luckily, the rain set off the motion alarm inside. If not, it probably would have rained in my car all night.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did what Lukewang01 had suggested and in my alarm settings I changed my alarm settings from "all" to "perimeter" only and I haven't had a problem since.

My Expy was set to "Ask on Exit" (or some such wording) with the default being all sensors. I'd always forget to change it to Perimeter Only when I had the dogs with me. I went into Alarm Settings and changed it to Perimeter Only, but it wouldn't stick, it would only do for that cycle.

Today I finally figured it out. In Alarm Settings you have to select Perimeter Only AND uncheck Ask on Exit.

One of my pet peeves is eliminated!