Any body have a winch on there expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShotgunSamurai8

Reaction score
Well I'm looking at heavy-duty replacement bumpers and winchmount brush guards...has anybody done it here? Also can anybody recome d a 10,000 lb winch that costs less than 600$? Some pics would be nice too

treycool94

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go iron bull they meke them for the 3rd gen now i dont look for winches often smittybuilt makes some cheap ones but there not to great you want to spend more when your getting a winch so your not stuck out there for long trying to winch you truck out in short sessions

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I picked up a Tough Stuff 12,500 lb winch to put in the Tactical Armor Group bumper.

I think the winch was just under $400. It's obviously made in China, but nearly all of them are these days. If I was a hardcore wheeler I would have probably spent the money on a 'name brand' unit. But then again, if I was a hardcore wheeler, I probably wouldn't be doing it in an Expedition. I sold off the steel cable and roller fairlead to offset some of the cost of the synthetic winch rope and aluminium fairlead. So, all in all I'm in to the winch for about $475. Totally worth the upgrade, if you've ever been stung by a stray wire on a steel cable.

I also just picked up a small 1700 lb utility winch for the truck made by Warn. It too was made in China. I'm not sure if the larger Warn winches are Chinese or not.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
warn is made in the USA. im surprised that the one you have is made in china. weird. also DO NOT put a winch on a brush guard. you will ripe that brush guard off so quick and there goes your winch and bumper or what ever else it takes with it. winches need a minimum thickness of metal to mount to and brush guards are too thin. some people getaway with using them, but i would never.

nvycrmn has a warn hidawinch set up. its under his brushguard and its connected straight to his frame. he has a 8k winch on there, which is good, but not strong enough for these beasts. if we get in some thick mud or we are super stuck they wont do anything but strain.

if your looking for a good winch then i would get a 10k at least and a 12.5 would be better. or if you have a big custom made bumper i would get a 20k winch. but its really big.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
As for winch size, here's my rule of thumb.

Take the size winch that you realistically 'think' you'll need, and buy one that is the next size larger.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plan to get the Warn hidden winch mount and a 12K lb. winch sometime. Just not anytime soon since I don't have a ton of money to drop in the truck. Gas prices are killing me enough as it is.

OP
OP
S

ShotgunSamurai8

Reaction score
Four wheeling magazines rule of thumb for winch capacity is 1.5 times more than your vehicles GVWR. and since my first gen expy weighs in at nearly 8,000lbs I'm gonna need a 12k winch. That much I know, but I had a feeling I shouldn't mount it on a brush guard :( oh well guess I'll have to go with something like the iron bull bumpers. Too bad they don't make one for 98 f 150's

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
look up nvycrmn, and warn makes somthing for us, I would go with at least a 10,000lb winch, I would get a hydraulic one just to be different :p

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nice thing about hydraulic winches is the don't get hot and shut off. The bad thing is if the truck isn't running, your stuck. I love hydraulic winches. After using them in the towing industry for years, I don't think I would get an electric winch.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
warn makes a hide a winch set up. nvy has it. but with an 8k winch. it works and gets the job done, but if hes up to his frame then HA good luck. haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701