Any how-to's on ac recharging ? 2000 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sup guys!
I am looking to recharge the AC on my 2000 Expy...
I was wondering if there were any instructions on how to do this... I checked youtube and watched a bunch on other cars but nothing on my series expy...
I am assuming it is pretty much the same routine for all cars, if so, can someone tell me where the low side port is?
Thanks!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Passenger side, behind the bracket that is mounted to the firewall, side of the receiver / drier.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know about the 04, but I would expect the same place. If in doubt follow the lines from the compressor. One will go to the condenser the other is the suction line from the accumulator or receiver/drier.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to add a little R-134 to my 2000 a few years back. Be careful not to add too much. Unlike R-12, R-134 is sensitive to having too much in the system and at that point will start getting warmer instead of colder. If you have trouble getting the system to take refrigerant and you know it needs some, you may be able to help by flushing the coil in front of the radiator with cold water. This will sometimes help them take in the gas in a hot driveway environment.

My 2000 had a good system in it and I could get a 35 to 40 degree duct temp on the driver door vent at max. Good Luck !!

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@svfetter - WOW THATS CRAZY 35-40 DEGREES! I THOUGHT ONCE THE AC GOT TO ABOUT 60 THATS ALL IT CAN DO....IM KINDA AFARID TO TAKE THAT BRACKET OFF AS THERE IS A BIG WIRE HARNESS BEHIND THE BRACKET...

OP
OP
S

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok so I finally recharged it myself... For my series truck (4.6 v8) I didnt have to remove that big wire harness in front of the port, I was able to get to the AC port simply by removing the tranny dip stick, and using a extra long hose/gauge set to get around the wires and to the AC port
I wasnt gonna touch that wire harness and just keep the windows down for the rest of the summer... but doing it this way solved the problem

Just thought Id let yall know.