Any one think about PlastiDipping Yer Hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
The moldings were easy to 'dip' because they already are raised off the vehicle, so as you peel the tape away, the dip just slaps into place. It's when you try to make your own edge on a level body part that it gets a little tricky. I did all my moldings on the truck, and just masked the hell out of it. Even if you get some on the body, it just rubs right off.

IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you scroll to the bottom of the page... DGray69 has a black hood on a silver expy... was my old hood

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if you get some on the body, it just rubs right off.
That would make me wonder how long it will stay put on the areas you want covered.....???..... anyone with any longevity reports?

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that is a well done video. My concern would be if it comes off that easily around the chrome trim. How is it on the chrome, if you bump into it, or bug matter gets on it or if you wash the vehicle, what keeps it from rolling or peeling off the trim pieces?

TexasAngel34

Full Access Members
Reaction score
id like to know also, cause im thinking of doing all my trim in the black, but dont want it to peel off if something touches or rubs against it

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
why not just paint the trim with regular paint? I dont understand the point of using plastidip, paint is easier to work with and cant be rubbed off, only upside of plastidip is its reversible if you dont like how it looks

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Like I said, mine has been through the mountains, mudding, winter, slush, rain storms, etc. Still all there. The overspray rubs off because you don't do 4 coats of overspray:doh2:. I wouldn't have done my Jeep if I didn't think it held up on my Expy. If you get a rock chip, or scratch that goes through all 4 coats, you can just spray a little over the area. It molds right in, and you can't tell there ever was a blemish.

Do or Do not. It's up to you. I swear by the stuff.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
why not just paint the trim with regular paint? I dont understand the point of using plastidip, paint is easier to work with and cant be rubbed off, only upside of plastidip is its reversible if you dont like how it looks

And it's 5 bucks a can, and requires no prep or skill. Takes about 5 minutes to dry. I actually want to Line-X it someday but till then, this stuff works perfectly.

Last edited:

gharris129

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i want to plasti dip the whole lower quater of my truck, flares and the moldings too

that hood was cool on the jeep

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZuluBravoTango

ZuluBravoTango

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, even if it takes some damage, it is easy to touch up. Idipped my grill last Sat, and I do highway driving every day. I will take some pics of it as time goes by and we will see how it holds up. I will post the first pic once it gets full daylight today.