Any problem buying a custom 2021 right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah makes sense. Wouldn't be surprised if they did that for some of the colors but IMO, I think I'd sacrifice a specific color if it meant useful refinement (which it will have).

I found some info.

I hope they don't go to the "floating in front of the dash" large screen. I hate touch screen in cars that look like an afterthought. I like the integrated look of the current one. If they go after-thought there are copmetitors I need to look at again.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found some info.

I hope they don't go to the "floating in front of the dash" large screen. I hate touch screen in cars that look like an afterthought. I like the integrated look of the current one. If they go after-thought there are copmetitors I need to look at again.
Ya I've seen those pics. I'm referring to other technologies and refinements beyond the increase in size of display + all digital dash.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The prices are stupid hi right now, if you can wait you will probably save yourself a chunk of change.

+1. Unless you're filthy rich and enjoy spending like Elton John, I wouldn't buy a vehicle right now unless you absolutely need one. My wife literally had some guy at work come up to her in the parking lot and offer 50% more for her Honda than we bought it for in Dec 2019. My sister got a call from the Subaru dealer she bought her car from 3 years ago and they offered her $1k less than she paid for it brand new. It's absurd.

21Exped

Reaction score
We ordered a 21 on 2/10 right before all the fuss. It got picked up in the system immediately. Took 7 weeks from day of order to delivery to the dealer. Ordered an F150 the same day & still have not received it.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
Long story, but I looked till I was exhausted for a max'd out 2021 - to no avail. Special orders were not possible due to things already discussed on this thread (like chips). I'm in Atlanta. I finally found one in Pittsburgh, but the truck was a 2020. Deep research revealed not much of a change to the 2021's at all. It was built in November of 2019.

I called the dealer in Pittsburgh in Oct of 2020, who told me they had performed a dealer trade to sent it to Ohio in Jan of 2021. The Ohio dealer in turn had just transferred it to a local dealer here in Atlanta. So it was driven from Pittsburgh to Ohio, then trailered to Atlanta. Biggest Qs were:
Why did it have 428 miles on it?
Why didn't it sell at either of the prior dealers?
I got some answers. The mileage was when it was driven to Ohio. It didn't sell because the Nav and other functions didn't work on the main screen, and all the techs at all the dealerships couldn't fix it. They certainly tried as noted in the service history.
I now owned a new truck, sold as a new truck although it was a 2020 and purchased in April of 2021.

However the Sync3 problem still existed. No display. I interviewed several service managers who were nice enough to hook me up with a Ford electronics tech that "floated" around to all the dealers here in Atlanta. He was supposedly real good at things like this, so I called him and arranged to have him look at the truck one morning. He hooked up his laptop, did diagnostics, and a few hours later viola! He re-synced the whole system and it worked. Updated all the firmwares while he was at it. Now I had a superior Expedition that was 100% up to spec. And everything worked.

I was willing to bend a tick by accepting a 2020, and everyone thinks it's a 2021. Since it was a new 2020, it was of course sold as a new car. The book values of a 2020 vs 2021 is only about $3,000 at this time, mostly due to the chip shortages. That figure will diverge with time, but I don't care; I've got the truck I wanted back in April (a black 4x4 KR with all options) and I couldn't be happier!

BTW - at last look this dealer was buying up a lot of expe's around the US and trailering them to this lot. I saw ~12 of them. Most were 2021's, a few Limiteds, a few XLs.

10.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited:

SenaFr

Reaction score
I see no any new recalls for 2021 but 2020 Expedition had 7 recalls, not very critical, but really more than previous models. So maybe you should wait a bit to see if there are critical safety notices from NHTSA.

cbigclarke

Reaction score
Ordered April 30th
Delivered June 18th

2021 MAX LTD. with stealth package

Last edited: