Any problems with the 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rick619

Reaction score
Looking at a 2019 Expedition Limited. It's the 4WD with heavy duty tow package.

Just wondering if there's any reason why I would want to go with the 2020 (or '21) over the '19. I'm looking at the tow capacity: showing 9200 lbs. Is that correct?

I have a 2018 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. So looks like this would have better towing?

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t think of any reason a newer model would be an improvement other than lower mileage. The wheelbase on your F150 is still longer than the expedition especially if you’re not looking at a Max version. That means it will be more stable if you’re towing something long. Realistically it’s best not to exceed 6k lbs by much if you’re looking for worry free towing with either truck. HD tow is still worth it on the Expedition.

May depend on what exactly you want to tow, how far, and how often.

OP
OP
R

rick619

Reaction score
The Expedition is new, just never sold for some reason. It's the 3.5 Ecoboost vs. my F150 with 2.7.

I'd be towing my Jeep on a small trailer. Might even get an aluminum trailer to save some weight. Not towing that often considering I don't even have the trailer yet and I've had my '18 for 2.5 years.

It would just be going maybe around 50 miles most of the time, but may eventually take it a few thousand miles. Though that would be once a year tops.

Thinking about it because the Expedition would be for my wife. Then I wouldn't REALLY need two trucks, might trade my F150 in for something else. Mustang, Challenger, etc. Just don't want to lose the ability to tow eventually.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotcha. I’m sure either could tow that just fine. There might be a huge disparity in towing range depending on fuel tank size difference.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The F150 has a solid rear axle, so it'll be a lot more stable in towing, but the 3.5L will tow better than the 2.7L I'm sure.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a MY19 no issues & love it.
Drove past my local Ford dealer today & their lot was EMPTY!! Normally it is (dealer is located in the 2nd largest city in GA | Augusta) always full with F series, Expys, Mustangs, trade-ins etc. The supply chain shortage is real! Used market is crazy right now. I can get more for my 2019 EXP now ($54K) than when I bought it last summer!
Great time to trade-in that 2.7 EB F150 @rick619

OP
OP
R

rick619

Reaction score
I have a MY19 no issues & love it.
Drove past my local Ford dealer today & their lot was EMPTY!! Normally it is (dealer is located in the 2nd largest city in GA | Augusta) always full with F series, Expys, Mustangs, trade-ins etc. The supply chain shortage is real! Used market is crazy right now. I can get more for my 2019 EXP now ($54K) than when I bought it last summer!
Great time to trade-in that 2.7 EB F150 @rick619

Went with my wife to test drive it. She REALLY liked it, but not sure she wants to spend the money. Ran the idea of trading in my F150 and she doesn't like the idea. Doesn't want to make trips to the dump in her shiny Expedition lol. She definitely wants to keep the F150.

They mentioned exactly what you said -- they are having problems with supply. Would LOVE to take my F150 in. Salesman said he's worried about supply issues since they can't get anything right now. Can't make money if they don't get the vehicles.

So I'm hoping my wife gets it. Thought it was really nice and roomy. Lots of nice features with the Limited. Just have to let her mull it over.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My late 19 got a cast aluminum oil pan and some other tweaks the earlier 19’s didn’t have. Have had zero issues

Mid to late 19 would be ok but early 19’s were still 18’s regarding problem parts phasers, sun roof issues, plastic oil pans

Reaction score
9000lbs tow with 4wd and tow package with weight distribution hitch
9300 tow 2wd and tow package with wdh
~6000 w/o tow package

Some people add sumo springs in the back to help with sag when towing heavy loads.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
9000lbs tow with 4wd and tow package with weight distribution hitch
9300 tow 2wd and tow package with wdh
~6000 w/o tow package

Some people add sumo springs in the back to help with sag when towing heavy loads.

Nope.

All Max’s are 9000 regardless of drive with Heavy Tow

Regular length with Heavy Tow are 9300 for 4x2, and 9200 for 4x4.

Below is straight from the 19 Tow guide:
ec9a8c6b1b57f1f8ea42a2f12bb6cecb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk