Any reason not to drive with auto 4wd on full time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning on 4H. I only do it for a short distance like my driveway to the 1st stop sign and always in a straight line but I will use 4A instead.

It looks like leaving it in 4A all the time is fine. From the 2017 owner's manual

4A provides electronic control four-wheel drive with power delivered to all four wheels, as required, for increased traction. The information display will display 4A when this mode is selected. This mode is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions, such as dry road surfaces, wet pavement, snow, or gravel.

Still wondering if we get an indication of slippage with 4A on.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I break a tire loose mine will blink a symbol on the dash that looks like skidding tires as long as the tire is spinning

pretty sure it does it in any driving mode

Mine is a 2008

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I break a tire loose mine will blink a symbol on the dash that looks like skidding tires as long as the tire is spinning

pretty sure it does it in any driving mode

Mine is a 2008
Thats the Traction Control System indicator. IIRC, it also indicates activation of the Roll/Stability Control (RSC) system.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
whatever it is it flashes when my wheels go spinny
If both wheels in the back are slipping about equally it won’t flash. It’s only when it’s balancing side to side that it lights up. If it’s balancing forward and backward there is no indication, at least in my experience.

Ford says there’s about a 9% fuel economy hit, but your mileage may quite literally vary.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken there were no AWD Expeditions.
4Auto is 2WD unless slippage is experienced in the rear axle. If slippage, the transfer case engages the front axle.
4Hi is locked into 4WD for sand, snow mud etc.
4Lo is for high ration pulling, getting out of a sand pit etc.

If you leave it in 4Auto it's in 2wd unless the system encounters a condition to engage the front axle. On a dry road without nailing the throttle, you'd never engage 4wd in 4auto.

Plati

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken there were no AWD Expeditions.
4Auto is 2WD unless slippage is experienced in the rear axle. If slippage, the transfer case engages the front axle.
4Hi is locked into 4WD for sand, snow mud etc.
4Lo is for high ration pulling, getting out of a sand pit etc.

If you leave it in 4Auto it's in 2wd unless the system encounters a condition to engage the front axle. On a dry road without nailing the throttle, you'd never engage 4wd in 4auto.
I know enough to be dangerous, no expert ... barely head above water on this and many other topics.

BUT there is a WIKI page on this ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ControlTrac#The_Modes

and this quote from the WIKI says the opposite
of what you typed about 4Auto above?
So I disagree. if I'm wrong , forgive me ...

Auto mode was featured on both Explorer and Expedition and allows for all-weather, full-time four-wheel drive capability on pavement as needed. In Auto mode, the engine’s torque is normally routed to the rear drive wheels. A misconception about the system is that it continuously shifts into and out of four-wheel drive as needed. This is not true, for when Auto mode is selected, the front axle hubs are permanently engaged, locking them to the front axle shafts, front differential, and front drive shaft. This is so the front drive shaft always rotates (turns) when the vehicle is being driven at speed. The computer control system needs the front drive shaft to turn, so that it can monitor and compare the rotational speed of both the front and rear drive shafts. If the rear drive shaft starts to turn faster than the front, the system interprets that (along with input from other sensors) as traction loss. When traction loss is detected, torque is sent forward to the front differential in 10 percent increments, via the center multi-disc clutch. As it does so, intelligent control software allows the center multi-disc clutch to behave like a geared center differential, such that "driveline binding" and "torque windup" do not occur. The transfer of torque is done in secrecy, virtually undetectable by the occupants of the vehicle.

In the early 2000s, ControlTrac was updated and introduced in 2002 with more advanced software programming, building on the system’s artificial intelligence.[8] The four-wheel drive system's updated artificial intelligence allowed the system to predict traction loss before it happened, so that torque can be transferred before it was needed.[7][8] This improvement meant the system could operate more like other "always-on" full-time four-wheel drive systems as it no longer had to "wait" for traction loss to take action.[8] Another improvement was front-to-rear "torque biasing" capability in Auto mode. ControlTrac's intelligent multi-disc differential could now send all 100 percent of the engine’s torque forward, biasing it to the front differential if severe traction loss was anticipated, predicted, or detected.[8]

Plati

Reaction score
I bought my first Expedition in 1998 after reading an Engineering article (I think it was Design News) about the Borg Warner system. At the time I think it was revolutionary that you could just turn a knob on the dash to change modes. Seems like "back then" you had to get out and lock the hubs manually on, for example, a JEEP. In 2003 the IRS came out and made the Expy even better so I bought one of those. I always appreciated the space inside with fold down seats. The 5.4L engine always had enough poop for me but I'm sure the EcoBoost is the future even if you do need to run premium gas and lose sleep over what type of oil to use (humor).

I truly "love" the Expedition!!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my first Expedition in 1998 after reading an Engineering article (I think it was Design News) about the Borg Warner system. At the time I think it was revolutionary that you could just turn a knob on the dash to change modes. Seems like "back then" you had to get out and lock the hubs manually on, for example, a JEEP. In 2003 the IRS came out and made the Expy even better so I bought one of those. I always appreciated the space inside with fold down seats. The 5.4L engine always had enough poop for me but I'm sure the EcoBoost is the future even if you do need to run premium gas and lose sleep over what type of oil to use (humor).

I truly "love" the Expedition!!
And even with the hubs locked, you still had to stop to engage the transfer case. I remember the first time I shifted into 4WD while rolling.....I fully expected the front end to disintegrate. But it didn't.

Old dogs, new tricks.