Anyone know how to get remote start, lock/unlock functionality in fordpass with the 2017 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
So I found a bunch of information when I googled "fordpass connect modem" and it looks like it is a plug in module and not a board swap.

Looks like this may be what I need:
DG9T-14F642-BB

Modem.ford.com

I'll keep digging.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have two 2017 Fords. My Focus Electric has the TCU unit, my Expedition does not. There's a lengthy thread on adding a TCU to some Ford models that did not have it. Not sure what functionality is added, as I had so many issues with my 4G update I didn't attempt this on the Expedition. I think you get tpms, miles, remote start and a few other things. Ford fixed my issues with a software update on the backend, so they could likely disable FordPass access for modded vehicles the same way.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I found a bunch of information when I googled "fordpass connect modem" and it looks like it is a plug in module and not a board swap.

Looks like this may be what I need:
DG9T-14F642-BB

Modem.ford.com

I'll keep digging.
YES! Looks correct. I can do some digging myself this weekend.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah... but this sounds to me like all hope is not lost. You imply there is a hardware update that I can do here? Do you have links for hardware and instructions that I can use? I'm a computer hardware guy and muck around in laptop and desktop parts all the time. A little modem add-on doesn't scare me. :) I suspect this is more of a board replacement situation though?
I am a Chemist by education, Techie by actual profession. Systems admin to be specific, so right there with you. No fear here either. I showed my local dealer how to use CyanLabs to update Sync 3 from the Sales side, so they are up to date for people purchasing.

The old system I mentioned above, Ford no longer supports, It actually used an old 3G Modem system, that the Cell providers have turned off. So even if Ford was supporting, it would not work. It was a great solution before FordPass.

Sounds like according to your other posts you are on the right path. Keep us in the loop and reach out if I can help.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
I have two 2017 Fords. My Focus Electric has the TCU unit, my Expedition does not. There's a lengthy thread on adding a TCU to some Ford models that did not have it. Not sure what functionality is added, as I had so many issues with my 4G update I didn't attempt this on the Expedition. I think you get tpms, miles, remote start and a few other things. Ford fixed my issues with a software update on the backend, so they could likely disable FordPass access for modded vehicles the same way.

Thanks for this link. Exactly what I needed! So it looks like folks have had varying levels of success. I'll read through the 400+ comments and start putting together my notes. First thing I need to do is figure out how the hell my Expedition is trackable in the fordpass application. According to everything that I am reading, you need the TCU for that to work. My current theory is that I am not actually tracking my Expedition, but it is my phone that is being tracked. I am in the car driving when I am looking at the fordpass app on my phone. I think if I leave the Expedition at home and get in my wife's car and look at the app, I'll see that my location is changing with the phone.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for this link. Exactly what I needed! So it looks like folks have had varying levels of success. I'll read through the 400+ comments and start putting together my notes. First thing I need to do is figure out how the hell my Expedition is trackable in the fordpass application. According to everything that I am reading, you need the TCU for that to work. My current theory is that I am not actually tracking my Expedition, but it is my phone that is being tracked. I am in the car driving when I am looking at the fordpass app on my phone. I think if I leave the Expedition at home and get in my wife's car and look at the app, I'll see that my location is changing with the phone.
You will see the last location that was recorded while you were connected to the car.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
So I just found this link while doing a google search "retrofit a non ford vehicle with ford telematics"

I wonder if this is a possibility for me? It sure looks like it would be easier. But it uses a device that plugs into the OBDII port, so if I ever want to add a tune, that may be a problem. I'll have to look and see if the OBDII port can have some kind of splitter installed.

Also, it costs $17/month for 24 months to purchase. I'm guessing after that it is "free" like it was with my 2018 truck when I bought it used? I could care less about the wireless hotspot. That'll never get used so Verizon isn't getting any of my money there.

Quote from the link above:
"Using a simple device that plugs into the OBD II port below the steering wheel, the new FordPass SmartLink experience gives owners of 2010-17 model year Ford vehicles those connectivity features normally available only on newer vehicles equipped with modems."

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01