Anyone monitoring Trans Temp with ODB2 reader app?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use a cheap ELM327 and Torque Pro. One of the "Trans Temp" PIDs that came with it and the Ford extended PIDs was just a mimic of the coolant temp. I created a custom "gauge" using a trans temp PID I found online. I too was using an old android phone. Works great. You can read/clear DTCs, create all sorts of dashboards. The cheap-o OBDII adapter I bought only has access to HSCAN. There are hacks to allow you to add a switch to access MSCAN, but it's a manual process. The OBDLink MX can switch between HSCAN and MSCAN using a software command in TorquePro. Tire pressures are on the MSCAN in the 3rd gens I believe.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tire pressures are on the MSCAN in the 3rd gens I believe.

Correct. Extended PID.

Get what you pay for. I have tried about 10 adapters through the past few years. The MX+ is the best so far at doing it all. All device types, all protocols, and good software support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct. Extended PID.

Get what you pay for. I have tried about 10 adapters through the past few years. The MX+ is the best so far at doing it all. All device types, all protocols, and good software support.
I just bought an MX+. Do you know what the extended PIDs are for the TPMS on the MS-CAN?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just bought an MX+. Do you know what the extended PIDs are for the TPMS on the MS-CAN?

You have one free upgrade in the OBDLink app, use it for your year PIDs. Then you can choose it from the list in the BCM. I can hook up later and see if I can get the PID Address.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use an
You have one free upgrade in the OBDLink app, use it for your year PIDs. Then you can choose it from the list in the BCM. I can hook up later and see if I can get the PID Address.

I use an iPhone the other day the app had an update and in the update notes it stated that all MX+ devices now get all the upgrades for free.

I am still learning on this thing so I have not have tried to mess with a second vehicle yet.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use an

I use an iPhone the other day the app had an update and in the update notes it stated that all MX+ devices now get all the upgrades for free.

I am still learning on this thing so I have not have tried to mess with a second vehicle yet.

Nice, I’ll have to check it out. Sucks, cause I paid for one...in addition to my free one.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figured out what I have to do between Torque and the MX (Not MX+) to get access to the MS-CAN bus for specific PIDs (TPMS). (Diagnostic Start & Stop commands)
To read the trans temp I had to specify 221624 as the PID and then "7e1" as the OBD Header. I see that the Ford specific free importable PIDs also now have a transmission temp PID that has the same settings. So you don't have to create a new one yourself.
I created a "Towing dashboard" in Torque that displays, coolant & trans temps, transmission gear, and fuel economy. I'll be adding the TPMS gauges when I get the MX.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccky