Anyone tow 8,000 lbs. with their 2021 Expedition FX4 with max towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanpe

Reaction score
Great testimonials on the Expo's capability. I have a '21 Limited with max tow package towing a Lance 1985 TT. I live in the Rockies and have towed it for over 8000 miles. Scaled it twice to get the WDH dialed in. Our last 4500 mile trip we came in at 12,500 GCVW which is 82% of max capacity. However, my rear axle is at 96% and front axle at 88% of the respective GAWR so I wouldn't want to pull anything larger. The Lance has a 800 lb tongue. My trailer weight fully loaded is at 5850# (w/ 30% fresh water) and the Expo is at 6650 or 90% of the stated GVWR. It pulls great up any pass. The TT box is 19' and I really never felt wind gusts much at all. My only reservation is the 10.2 mpg we averaged on the trip and in the mountains we filled up with 91 octane as the low end regular up here is only at 85 octane which is below Ford's recommended 87 min level.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 7K TT with WDH drove great. ~20K miles towing or so including two big trips out west (Rockies in CO, WY, MT both times) and two trips down to FL from PA as well as a lot around the mid Atlantic region. As others have stated, the key is that good set-up dialed in with your WDH! Our TT came with a blue ox sway pro and I had it perfect. It did eat the two cats on the last big trip out west and we suffered a little with noise and like 5.5mpg from MT to PA... But, no power issues, just efficiency/emissions. Got an RV now, so mine now relegated to toad/bike rack duty...

Attachments

• PXL_20211227_173234312.jpg
    PXL_20211227_173234312.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 29

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
The maximum allowable towing capacity is a relative term which in practice is hardly ever achieved, unless you have the right tires, weigh distributing hitch and only the driver and no cargo and trailer brake control. Towing anything near the limit with result in dangerous driving conditions that could lead to disastrous results.
Take a look at the linked video that explains in detail the process to determine the actual towing capacity. Keep in mind that if an accident happens and you are over the limit, your insurance company will not cover any damages or the corresponding liability.

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I made a number of trips to Florida with our 30 footer with a weight of 7300#, so with all the junk, I'm sure it was over 8#. I just set the cruise for about 65 to 70 and enjoyed the trip. Ours is a 2018 4WD and 3:70 gears. Still had a pretty good ride! Lots of academic answers, I con only speak to my experiences. I will say, I wouldn't want to do the Rockies with it.

Wife and I will just start having to load the camper lightly! We were spoiled by our last 2 fifth wheels and a dually to tow with. Never had to worry about weight. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maximum towing capacity is not a planning number as it's based on a completely EMPTY tow vehicle. Expedition, F150, Silverado, they're based on the same formula. Every pound in excess of a 150 pound driver decreases the towing capacity.

Then there's tongue weight as mentioned above. Look at the data plate in your driver's door jam. A conventional trailer requires 10%-15% of its total weight to be on the ball. 920 to 1380. My total cargo/passenger capacity tops out at 1416 pounds.

Motorboat trailers only need 5%-10% on the ball.

My personal rule of thumb is the One Ton Rule which states the tow vehicle needs 2000 pounds (a ton) more towing capacity than the trailer weighs and vv for Happy Towing. This limits my Expedition to towing no more than 7200 pounds which puts at least 720 pounds on the ball and requires a WDH. I made up that "rule" and it's conservative but have been using it for years. 1000 Pound Rule is less satisfactory for me.

Would I tow a 9200 pound trailer across town? Sure, but not across the state.

-- Chuck

I'm estimating loaded trailer weight to be in the 8 to 8,500 lb range. Hitch weight shows 835# from Keystone. Going with the 4 point Equalizer hitch to transfer weight to the Expedition's axles. I have the FX4 and max towing packages so that should help pluse mostly tow in the flat as a pancake Louiisiana..Mississippi and Texas areas. Won't be going too far with the price of fuel!!

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great testimonials on the Expo's capability. I have a '21 Limited with max tow package towing a Lance 1985 TT. I live in the Rockies and have towed it for over 8000 miles. Scaled it twice to get the WDH dialed in. Our last 4500 mile trip we came in at 12,500 GCVW which is 82% of max capacity. However, my rear axle is at 96% and front axle at 88% of the respective GAWR so I wouldn't want to pull anything larger. The Lance has a 800 lb tongue. My trailer weight fully loaded is at 5850# (w/ 30% fresh water) and the Expo is at 6650 or 90% of the stated GVWR. It pulls great up any pass. The TT box is 19' and I really never felt wind gusts much at all. My only reservation is the 10.2 mpg we averaged on the trip and in the mountains we filled up with 91 octane as the low end regular up here is only at 85 octane which is below Ford's recommended 87 min level.

No Rockies down here SE Louisiana. Highest mountain is only a little over 500 ft!! I've got the standard length FX4 with max towing package so all I'm concerned about is tongue weight. It has two 30 lb propane tanks and a optional front AC so that may increase hitch weight some. We lost our 41' Solitude fifth wheel in hurricane Ida and I sold my F350 dually diesel too quick! This towing a 30' travel trailer with an Expedition is getting to be a science!! Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 7K TT with WDH drove great. ~20K miles towing or so including two big trips out west (Rockies in CO, WY, MT both times) and two trips down to FL from PA as well as a lot around the mid Atlantic region. As others have stated, the key is that good set-up dialed in with your WDH! Our TT came with a blue ox sway pro and I had it perfect. It did eat the two cats on the last big trip out west and we suffered a little with noise and like 5.5mpg from MT to PA... But, no power issues, just efficiency/emissions. Got an RV now, so mine now relegated to toad/bike rack duty...

Great to hear...now the prince turned into a toad!! Nice looking rig you have!

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The maximum allowable towing capacity is a relative term which in practice is hardly ever achieved, unless you have the right tires, weigh distributing hitch and only the driver and no cargo and trailer brake control. Towing anything near the limit with result in dangerous driving conditions that could lead to disastrous results.
Take a look at the linked video that explains in detail the process to determine the actual towing capacity. Keep in mind that if an accident happens and you are over the limit, your insurance company will not cover any damages or the corresponding liability.

The camper we are buying is under our vehicles rating for 9,200 lbs with the max towing package. Getting the 4 point Equalizer 10K pound hitch. Already have 10 ply BFG all terrains. At least on paper I think I'm good. My daughter is my insurance agent and I was the safety man at the place where I retired from so I take safety seriously. Even more on the highway as being in the trucking and transportation business for over 40 yrs. Thank you for the info!

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wife likes a Cougar 25 RDS that's close to 30' long and grosses out at over 8K pounds. Its supposed to be 1/2 ton towable but we all know how that goes. I don't know if my Expedition could handle it on our terrible roads in Louisiana. Our previous camper was a 41' Solitude 5th wheel and pulled by a '17 F350 dually. Camper was totaled in hurricane Ida and I sold my dually and bought the Expedition with no intentions of getting another camper. Wife misses camping with our friends so hopefully I can change her mind. Prices are too high on RV's and getting about 8 mpg on the hwy with the Expy with its 23 gallon tank doesn't thrill me. Miss our 5th wheel and dually even more!!
Get a smaller trailer. Besides so crowded now days the smaller you go the higher chance you’ll find a place to stay. Not to mention lower fuel burn and better range err lower pump cost

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a smaller trailer. Besides so crowded now days the smaller you go the higher chance you’ll find a place to stay. Not to mention lower fuel burn and better range err lower pump cost

I am going down to a smaller trailer. 41 ft down to a 30' Not too crowded at the campgrounds during the week so we never had many problems getting a spot even with the larger trailer. Thanks for the response to the question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1