Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearlyCamping

Reaction score
Hello all! We’re considering purchasing an Explorer Timberline with a max towing package (9,200 lbs.).
I’m having trouble determining how large of a camper I can get? Should I stay under 6,00p lbs dry weight, or can I go higher? With us & the 3 dogs, we’re at 650 lbs + in the car.
Thanks for your advice!

lubbers6

Reaction score
I have a timberline. Love it. We camped in the back of it. Queen mattress. Comfy. Drove every dirt road in Montana. Didn’t tow…but I’m sure it’ll do great. Have fun!!

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6079.jpeg
    IMG_6079.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 11

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lot of info on this scattered in past threads, but it depends on several factors. Any idea what the payload is on a typical Timberline?

You'll want to stay under 6,500 dry and will want to have a really dialed in weight dist hitch, shooting to keep the hitch weight at the spec of the trailer and not going over the payload and axle capacities if you can help it. Personally I would stay under 30' overall length.

With 2 of you and just 3 dogs you have lots of options out there. I tow a 30 foot (27ft model), 6400 dry capacity trailer with dual slides and a kitchen island. It's a great size for 2 of us and 2 large dogs. I'm at the absolute limit of my older 2010 Expy in my opinion, and that's after upgrading several things such as sway bars, spring spacers, and a very good understanding of using CAT scales to weak things. It took over a good year of trips to the CAT scale that I finally dialed in the weigh dist hitch and moved cargo around the trailer to be exactly perfect for my set up.

There is definitely a learning curve, but if you put in the effort upfront it'll make all the difference later and how you'll feel comfortable on trips.

OP
OP
B

BearlyCamping

Reaction score
Lot of info on this scattered in past threads, but it depends on several factors. Any idea what the payload is on a typical Timberline?

You'll want to stay under 6,500 dry and will want to have a really dialed in weight dist hitch, shooting to keep the hitch weight at the spec of the trailer and not going over the payload and axle capacities if you can help it. Personally I would stay under 30' overall length.

With 2 of you and just 3 dogs you have lots of options out there. I tow a 30 foot (27ft model), 6400 dry capacity trailer with dual slides and a kitchen island. It's a great size for 2 of us and 2 large dogs. I'm at the absolute limit of my older 2010 Expy in my opinion, and that's after upgrading several things such as sway bars, spring spacers, and a very good understanding of using CAT scales to weak things. It took over a good year of trips to the CAT scale that I finally dialed in the weigh dist hitch and moved cargo around the trailer to be exactly perfect for my set up.

There is definitely a learning curve, but if you put in the effort upfront it'll make all the difference later and how you'll feel comfortable on trips.
Thanks for the response! I’ve gathered bits and pieces from other threads, but the more I read, the more confused I get! The payload capacity is 1,827 for the ‘22 Timberline.
What camper did you go with? We’re looking to travel for about a year, and an Expedition will be easier for the dogs vs a 250/350.
Thanks!

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I’ve gathered bits and pieces from other threads, but the more I read, the more confused I get! The payload capacity is 1,827 for the ‘22 Timberline.
What camper did you go with? We’re looking to travel for about a year, and an Expedition will be easier for the dogs vs a 250/350.
Thanks!
That's a really good payload, mine is a paltry 1460.

We have a Winnebago 27RBDS (Rear Bath, Dual Slides). They don't seem to make them right now, might have stopped last year.

Key thing about it is having dual opposing slides. It really makes a huge difference in the open feel inside the camper. Especially having big dogs. And also this model emphasized the bath, so the entire back end of the camper is a bathroom with a full size shower. It's a great camper for a couple and fur-babies, no so much with the human kinds.

After having the dual opposing slides, not sure I'd ever go without. It makes that much of a difference inside.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really like the Grand Design 2670MK model. Has the dual slides, it's a little heavier than what I got but if I had a larger payload like 1800 I think it'd work out. When this Winnebago reaches end of life I'll probably be heading that way. I don't buy anything new, just lightly used and do my homework making sure I don't get a lemon. Saves thousands.

OP
OP
B

BearlyCamping

Reaction score
I really like the Grand Design 2670MK model. Has the dual slides, it's a little heavier than what I got but if I had a larger payload like 1800 I think it'd work out. When this Winnebago reaches end of life I'll probably be heading that way. I don't buy anything new, just lightly used and do my homework making sure I don't get a lemon. Saves thousands.
I really like that layout, but I doubt a Timberline or half-ton would be able to handle it. Am I wrong?

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really like that layout, but I doubt a Timberline or half-ton would be able to handle it. Am I wrong?
It would be the upper limit, but if I had a Timberline w/ 1800 payload I'd consider it. The hitch weight is stated at only 690, that's less than my 760. It is a little long at 32.3 feet, but there are those on this site that do pull campers that long no issue. It's 2.3 feet longer and 400lbs more dry weight. With a Gen4 set up correctly I'm betting it'd be ok.

Do they make the Timberline in the extended length? That would help stability-wise in pulling a trailer this long.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm curious as to where you got that payload number from? That is much higher than other Timberlines as well as my XLT which has less content. Did you get that off the tire and loading information sticker on the door jam as each vehicle is different? Here is the community spreadsheet with the info. Looks like 1,600-ish lbs is where you should be.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Ignore "dry weight" of any camper. For one thing it's pure fiction and bears no relationship to what the trailer weighs even new on the dealer's lot. Use the GVWR of the trailer -- the maximum allowable weight. Many times it's hard to stay below this weight as "stuff" in the trailer multiplies like the proverbial rabbits. For one thing water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon and a minimum of a 30 gallon (250 pounds) freshwater tank is normal and 200 pounds of batteries and propane are common. You're pushing 500 pounds right there.

You also need 10% - 15% of the trailer's weight on the ball for safe towing This is where the cargo capacity comes into play. Also note the weight on the ball cannot exceed 920 pounds -- and that requires a weight distribution hitch (WDH).

My personal rule of thumb is the One Ton Rule which specifies the trailer's actual weight ready to tow must be 2000 pounds (a ton) less than the maximum towing capacity of the tow vehicle -- in this case that's 7200 pounds. This allows cargo in the tow vehicle (where every pound there decreases the max tow capacity pound for pound), high summer temperatures, steep grades, and high altitudes. My Rockwood Roo weighs ~6000 pounds and puts ~700 pounds on the ball.

-- Chuck