Anyone towing a 26+’ enclosed trailer with their 4th Gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It WILL pull it, but it would not be my first choice to pull that trailer with.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been looking at enclosed trailers. Wanting something at least 26’ long. I will get a WDH with it. Weight should be ok. Just wondering if the Expy would struggle with the wind and IRS with that size of a trailer.

4507615c5ca0d4dcc3587423dbc08613.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Several buddies haul like this. First thing they did was cut off the WWII dive bomb speed brake on the back of the trailer and greatly improved their towing experience.

Those expanded metal tip up ramps are great for 35mph city street yard crew trailers. Absolutely lousy for highway trips.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know someone that has a trailer big enough to fit two of those toys and regularly pulls it down to St.George or Moab at 90+mph, he complains about the crappy gas mileage he is getting but that is all I have heard him complain about.

I don't condone the speed he pulls at, I wouldn't ride with him, and I understand why his gas mileage sucks...

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulls my 27 foot travel trailer that has a wdh with sway control and has no issues at all.IMG_20191115_125423292_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Irhuntin

Reaction score
I towed a 33 ft travel trailer with mine and it pulled ok but wont do it again. To much wind movement and after 70 mph road walked a small bit but more than I like. Im use to 5th wheels. it was an ultra lite trailer.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed a 33 ft travel trailer with mine and it pulled ok but wont do it again. To much wind movement and after 70 mph road walked a small bit but more than I like. Im use to 5th wheels. it was an ultra lite trailer.
Yeah mine had some wind movement before I really dialed in the wdh and it's sway control. Even in my included pic this was before really getting it dialed in. One thing I found is to connect the trailer with the truck running as the CCD doesn't allow the truck to squat as much even before I connect the wdh. This trailer tip to tip is 30' and the box on it is 27'. When all fully setup rear of truck squats half an inch as measured at the rear wheel wells compared to no trailer connected.

I set cruise at 70mph and it is as stable as can be (disengage in the hills/mtns as I am in central TN). Have had tractor trailers zoom by at 80mph and I get no sway to talk about.

Without the wdh and it's sway control no way no how would I drive this trailer. Did so when I first picked up the trailer as I was installing the wdh myself a few miles down the road and anything above 55-60 mph would have been a nightmare to control

Note: I also turn off the trucks sway control and fully let the wdh do the job of such so the two don't try to counteract each other. If someone has a way to permanently set that to off for a saved trailer that would be great. I have to turn that off every time starting the truck with the trailer attached even with it being a saved trailer.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Note: I also turn off the trucks sway control and fully let the wdh do the job of such so the two don't try to counteract each other. If someone has a way to permanently set that to off for a saved trailer that would be great. I have to turn that off every time starting the truck with the trailer attached even with it being a saved trailer.

The truck’s sway control won’t do anything to interfere with the hitch’s sway control. The sway control in the truck does absolutely nothing to keep the trailer from swaying. All it does is use the rear parking sensors to figure out how much the trailer is swaying. If it detects a “dangerous” amount of sway, the truck will automatically recover it for you by applying the trailer brakes, etc and flashing up
a bunch of warning messages and such. Your hitch’s sway control, OTOH, provides a mechanical force that resists sway...

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The truck’s sway control won’t do anything to interfere with the hitch’s sway control. The sway control in the truck does absolutely nothing to keep the trailer from swaying. All it does is use the rear parking sensors to figure out how much the trailer is swaying. If it detects a “dangerous” amount of sway, the truck will automatically recover it for you by applying the trailer brakes, etc and flashing up
a bunch of warning messages and such. Your hitch’s sway control, OTOH, provides a mechanical force that resists sway...
That is good to know. Was turning it off due to the wdh instructions referencing to do such.

stefan gimenez

Reaction score
I towed this from LI, NY to Maine and it towed great but the wind was moving my truck around that buddy in the back seat looked like a bobble head. Only had 2 sleds so overall weight should hAve been 3500-4K but ordered sumo springs and putting in 5100’s because I HATE squat. Power was just as good if not better then my hemi ram.

79F35F28-9FF2-4B76-931B-470F06E8FCF2.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712