Are 3V really that bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VegasExpedition

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a '05 EB with 100k on it. Seems to be in great shape, idles quiet, drives smooth, seems everything works.

I spent a few minutes here and see the spark plug issue, possible timing guides etc...

What is the general consensus, are these vehicles reliable or am I asking for a headache since the plugs on this vehicle need to be changed. I know every vehicle has it's issue but do I need to be concerned about these issues?

Thank you for the opinions.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think they're that bad, but they are gonna give you a lot of headache if you don't take care of it properly with oil changes and all that.

The two major issues, and partly a third one is:

1. the spark plugs breaking, which is pretty easy to get around if you have the Lisle extractor tool on hand (60-70 dollars on amazon). In worst case scenario you have to pull the head in order to get the broken plug out.

2. The cam phasers seems to go bad no matter what you do. The VCT solenoids has been updated to prevent this, but that doesn't help the engines which still has the old original design in them. The phasers has also been updated with some hardened pins and such. This ties in with the partial third issue,

3. The timing components are in plastic. Plastic guides, plastic tensioners. These have a habit of breaking when the mileage starts adding up. There is a company that sells guides in billet aluminum and tensioners in cast iron with a ratchet on them to prevent the timing chain to go slack and make the engine jump time if the gasket blows out or the tensioner fails/looses oil pressure. It's a large job, but something you might consider if you are planning to have the truck for a long time. If the engine jumps time badly enough, it will destroy it and you'll have to buy a new engine.

case2001

Reaction score
I don't think they're that bad, but they are gonna give you a lot of headache if you don't take care of it properly with oil changes and all that.

The two major issues, and partly a third one is:

1. the spark plugs breaking, which is pretty easy to get around if you have the Lisle extractor tool on hand (60-70 dollars on amazon). In worst case scenario you have to pull the head in order to get the broken plug out.

2. The cam phasers seems to go bad no matter what you do. The VCT solenoids has been updated to prevent this, but that doesn't help the engines which still has the old original design in them. The phasers has also been updated with some hardened pins and such. This ties in with the partial third issue,

3. The timing components are in plastic. Plastic guides, plastic tensioners. These have a habit of breaking when the mileage starts adding up. There is a company that sells guides in billet aluminum and tensioners in cast iron with a ratchet on them to prevent the timing chain to go slack and make the engine jump time if the gasket blows out or the tensioner fails/looses oil pressure. It's a large job, but something you might consider if you are planning to have the truck for a long time. If the engine jumps time badly enough, it will destroy it and you'll have to buy a new engine.

This great information! What year did they make the change??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no idea when they updated the parts, it was a silent update so they just appeared suddenly as a revised design. If you buy new VCT solenoids, just make sure the part number reflects the latest design. The phasers still has the same part number, but they were supposedly updated with hardened pins to prevent the most common failure point.

Here's an example of updated VCT solenoids.
2005 2014 Ford Lincoln 5 4L 2 Variable Camshaft Timing Solenoids Seals | eBay