Are bilsteins really worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the Expy is in need of some new shocks and I'm at a bit of a loss.

On occasion I tow a heavy trailer, and haul 8 people on vacation with luggage on top. When the truck is loaded up it gets a bit too floaty.

I'm not sure if I have the load leveling but if I do, would bilsteins still be a good upgrade?

If you guys could share your experience and opinions that would be great!!!

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes they are worth it.
Much nicer ride and don’t leak after 50k miles or so. But if you have the load leveling shocks they are not a direct swap.
You’ll have to buy the standard Coilovers from a junkyard and swap the factory shock for the Bilstein then swap that for the load leveling coilover setup.

mcloven

Reaction score
i hate my bilsteins. they dont seem to be valved correctly for the factory spring. the ride is fine on the highway. but on a bumpy road they are floaty and the rebound seems mostly uncontrolled. i had high expectations with most people having positive reviews. i even double checked my springs to make sure they were oem which they were and i also looked to see if the shocks were some sort of fake. they look to be the real deal. im sure they will last much longer than most of the aftermarket though.

L Antoino

Reaction score
I hate my bilsteins too! The ride on my 2015 limited was a lot harsh than oem, but they where still better. OEMs lasted only 20k miles then started leaking, brought it to a ford dealership for warranty repair and was told it is normal, WTF??! Now i swapped the bilsteins for KYBs and they ride like OEM. I only have 10k miles on the KYB so time will tell if they are better than the motorcrafts.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I put them on my 2000 and they were fantastic. Just what I wanted - a bit stiffer, a firm ride without jarring.

Was strongly considering them for my '08, but not too sure after reading the above. They're quite a job to install in this too.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got the B6s in the rear on mine and have no complaints. I have a set for the front also, but haven't had the chance to put them on yet. In my case, I didn't really notice a big difference from stock, but it's worth noting that I absolutely detest a soft ride. Along with the sloppy steering, it's one of the primary reasons I wasn't even considering a Surburban when I bought this truck.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put them on my 2000 and they were fantastic. Just what I wanted - a bit stiffer, a firm ride without jarring.

Was strongly considering them for my '08, but not too sure after reading the above. They're quite a job to install in this too.

This is how I would describe mine. They are certainly more firm than OEM but the steering is a lot more solid as well.
Granted I have the Bilsteins for an F150 up front. I also stepped up to E load tires at the same time.

I have a set of Fox 2.0s to replace the Bilsteins. Weather just needs to cooperate on my days off so I can get them on. Be interesting to feel the different.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
Bilstein 4600s worked better than stock on my 2013. Less rebound, less floaty. More control and cornering, and helped a little with towing.

PkgingGuy

Reaction score
I changed my 2011 to bilsteins and installed new OEM springs at same time at 70k miles. Waaaay better handling, cornering and especially towing. I have the self leveling in rear and no issues. Truck has 115k mikes now.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes they are worth it.
Much nicer ride and don’t leak after 50k miles or so. But if you have the load leveling shocks they are not a direct swap.
You’ll have to buy the standard Coilovers from a junkyard and swap the factory shock for the Bilstein then swap that for the load leveling coilover setup.

I read years ago that they were softer ride on Excursions.
I have two with factory shocks as far as I know and one rides much harder than the other. Neither has a good ride.
Good but firm on smooth road. Rough on mildly bumpy road and TERRIBLE on rough road!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryin2fickshit