Are bilsteins really worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on the bilsteins.

It kind of confirms my suspicion that it would be a firmer ride. I put the recommended bilsteins on a lifted jeep 10 years ago and it went from okay to filling buster and had a hard time going offroad due to the rough ride. I called them up and order replacement ones that were about 5x softer and it was like a trophy truck that floated over everything.

I think I might go with the factory replacement, or KYB. We live down a rough dirt road and I dont want stiffer shocks, I already have much stiffer tires that made the bumps more jarring.

Do they make a fox shock for our truck?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use Fox 2.0s for the F150 for the fronts but no Fox option for the rear.

If weather ever cooperates on my day off my Fox 2.0s will get installed.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what are the options for the softest ride then? Can’t really sort out the answer from the above posts... OEM? I need to replace mine as they are originals (except one) and have 147,000 miles on them. Just not sure what is best to go with. 2015 EL...nivomats in the rear currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what are the options for the softest ride then? Can’t really sort out the answer from the above posts... OEM? I need to replace mine as they are originals (except one) and have 147,000 miles on them. Just not sure what is best to go with. 2015 EL...nivomats in the rear currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I want soft ones too.
In the early 90s I worked at an Autoworks and we sold monroes and some others.
If you put the 'better" gas matic on vs the plain old cheap one... they would beat you to death. This was before sensa-trac came out.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Ford Expedition Limited 2wd. I replaced the factory struts with KBY once I hit 120,000 miles. I now have a little over 200,000 on the truck with the same KYB Struts and the truck ride just the same as oem. I have at time loaded up with 3 kids me and wife with 2 dogs and at times I use my uncles 24 foot camper and have no problem towing at all.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope I'm not too late for the party. We have a 2012 EL XLT now with 70+K miles on it. I swapped to Bilsteins up front in August of 2014 right at warranty end where Ford wouldn't do squat about the leaks. The rears are OEM Ford. At the same time I changed the front shocks, I dialed in the alignment to my liking (slight negative camber, caster slightly biased as needed to track strait on our Florida sloped roads).

My wife and I are amazed at how smooth and comfortable this behemoth was on the highway with the original Goodyears. Our first replacement tires were Firestone Destination LE2 tires. The truck was just as smooth and quiet with these front shocks - not jarring over bumps - good firmness. It was so long ago I don't remember noting any harshness in ride compared to before the shock swap. We do not off-road the vehicle. We just replaced the Firestones with another set of the LE2 tires again - same feedback. I've run Bilsteins for many years - they are excellent quality. So - contra many reports mine are comfortable - not too stiff.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 08 EL limited and it had done 142,000 miles when I decided to change the shocks. I ordered a set of Bilsteins (replaced all 4 shocks) based on feedback from this site. Immediately after changing them I went for a test drive with my wife and daughters and all 3 of them commented on how much nicer the car rode with the new shocks (to be clear they did not know I had changed them) I was surprised they noticed any difference (because I couldn't really tell any change and I knew i had replaced them!). My car has the 20" wheels so maybe that makes a difference, I like having new shocks which will damp, but my 3 passengers all thought the ride had improved noticeably and they preferred it to the old shocks (which probably didn't damp at all given the high mileage!!
So no hard facts, but for us the change was positive and worth it, I paid $360 for the 4 shocks and changed them myself so no fitting costs, O'riley lent me a spring compressor for free so no costs to fit, took about 2 hours to change all 4 shocks.

I would recommend the shocks but I have never tried any other make so no idea if there are better shocks but I like the Bilsteins and they seem great value for the cost.

Gary

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only problem I see is a shock costing 90! That's high even for a strut.
Shocks used to be cheap. Even the sensa trac weren't that high but were a lot more than most.

Adam N Davis

Reaction score
I hate my bilsteins too! The ride on my 2015 limited was a lot harsh than oem, but they where still better. OEMs lasted only 20k miles then started leaking, brought it to a ford dealership for warranty repair and was told it is normal, WTF??! Now i swapped the bilsteins for KYBs and they ride like OEM. I only have 10k miles on the KYB so time will tell if they are better than the motorcrafts.

Did you go with the KYB Strut Plus SR4456? Was this front and rear swaps you made? I have 14 with self leveling and without ditching the rear coil I have to go with the OE replacement in rear