Attn: guys that have done a ZF swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corey5988

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a ZF5 swap on my '99 F150 with a 5.4. I've actually got everything bolted up (though I have to get a spacer for my front driveshaft). In my research I only came across this type of swap on this site, so I'm hoping someone can help me out with an issue. I completely removed the auto shift components from the column. The key and wheel lock function works as I'd like. However I can't get the truck to turn over. I hear a relay click on the left dash when I turn the key, but thats it. In my research I found that a few wires need connected from the tranny harness for the starter to function. Which wires would these be? Also I'm assuming that they'd just need to go to a switched hot wire? Also I have a manual T-case so the nuetral thing shouldn't be an issue. For the reverse sensor in the tranny, is it the two wire connector on the left upper tranny case? Thats all I can find. Thanks for any help.

Edit: I had the 4r70w tranny stock.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Auto transmissions have a safety switch which only allow the vehicle to crank if its either in park or neutral. I might focus my research there.

Sorry I don't have any more info but not familiar with the swap. Thought the above may be worth mentioning just in case.

Not sure how often the ones that have done this swap visit the forum. There are only a few.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

corey5988

Reaction score
In research I found this thread. I'm far from an electrical guru, but from looking at this here's what I'm thinking (according to the schematic in post #2). The starter control and starter motor relay are in place to allow current to the starter solenoid, so to not allow current to the starter if in gear. With this being the case I should be able to run a jumper from pin 9 (power) to pins 10 (starter control) & 12 (starter motor relay). I'm assuming the power for that connector being a switched power source. Also I would then just run pin 11 (backup) to the reverse sensor hot wire on my ZF5 and ground out its' ground?

Last edited:

CR_Magruder

Reaction score
Here is how I did it on my 2003 with an M5R2 transmission. You need to get a wiring diagram for your 1999, then you should be able to do something similar. The diagram below is for the DTRS-- the digital transmission range switch. Hopefully you had something similar on your '99. The DTRS is gone, but what we are interested in is the wires that came from the DTRS. Some wires go to the PCM (upper right), and others connect to other parts of the harness.

Find the wires that go to the safety start circuit. In my case, they are the white/pink ((#33) and tan/red (#1093) wires. Then find two terminals on your clutch pedal position switch that are closed when the pedal is all the way down, and open when in the rest position. Run two wires from there, through the firewall and connect them to the appropriate wires that went to the DTRS.

ysll.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This preserves the safety function intended by Ford. You might be able to always remember to push in the clutch before starting the engine, but what if someone else drives your Expy and forgets? Crunch-- if you're lucky; worse if not.

You can use the wires that go the reverse light circuit in the same way. Connect the wires that went to the DTRS switch for reverse, to your reverse switch on the ZF. This would be the R/PK (#295) and VT/WH (#1789) at the far left of the box in the diagram above.

By using this method, you maintain all the communication that the PCM is expecting-- you are just supplying new switches in place of the DTRS.

Best,
CR

OP
OP
C

corey5988

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I found this diagram specific to the '99-'00. Looks like if I jump circuit #325 to #1093. I’ll be set. For now I’m going to run it without the clutch position sensor. My girlfriend can’t drive a manual and my dad would be the only other person to ever drive it and his 350z can be cranked without the clutch pressed and in gear, so he’d be used to that. I may change it later, but for now I want to get it running and make sure I don’t have any bugs that need worked out first.

003-my-picture38103-1999-evtm-20-1-starting-system.jpg

OP
OP
C

corey5988

Reaction score
Jumped the wires and she started right up. Now I just have to come up with a more permanent job on the wiring and wire up the reverse lights. Thanks for the help guys.

CR_Magruder

Reaction score
Good to hear Corey! Glad it worked like you thought it would. Enjoy that manual transmission!

CR