Auto Headlights Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
On both of mine and the wife's old Jeeps, if you had the headlight switch set for auto and turned the wipers on the headlights came on automatically.

We discovered (Thanks to a polite Sheriff's Deputy, and a verbal warning) that our 2006 LTD with the lights set to auto, they don't come on with the wipers, you have to go to manual light mode. Don't know if it was always that way in the nearly two years we owned it or not.

Is this normal and something I have to learn to remember?
Is this a settings thing?
Is this a sign of a bad switch, relay sensor, etc?

The headlights themselves will come on during periods of darkness while in auto. You can manually turn them on and they work also. So in that aspect they work as designed.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 2006 won't engage the headlights with the wipers. Even my 2012 doesn't I don't believe.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford doesn't have that feature so u have to use auto... the sensor will turn them on when time

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my mariner I leave my headlights in AUTO. They come on when I trigger my wipers.
I thought most Ford models had this with auto lamps.

Here are the respective pages from the 2nd printing 2006 expedition and 2008 mariner.

Odd

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
1d072d85c48cacbffbe53ea21531362a.jpg7468cc705e253e42efd6b86eaccc8579.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
USAF Sarge

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
my 06 EB doesn't do that either... my 06 300c does and I wish the EB did because of having it on the 300... Man have I gotten lazy in my latter years :(

Tell me, my 96 Jeep ZJ Limited had lights on with wipers, and apparently I've been driving this thing for two years and wasn't even aware that it didn't have that feature.

Now I know, and will have to make an effort to remember that until it becomes a natural habit to manually turn them on. I'm only 53 right now, but I'm getting to the point where I'm either getting too old, too lazy, or both to have to relearn things! o_O

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lights in both our expedition and navigator stay on auto. I've never payed attention to it I guess. I don't have to use wipers too often, at least not set on constant setting unless its really coming down and then its usually dark enough lights would come on anyway. I've been spoiled by auto lights for far too long, I think every car I've owned since about 2006 has had them, same with auto dim rear view.

I feel like the sensor for the lights is fairly sensitive, i get them kicking on somewhat frequently even when just sitting under an overpass shortly before sunset. I drive straight west the last few miles home from work so the lighting is odd at certain times. As soon as I clear the shadow of the hwy theyll shut right off. My buick took a good bit longer to respond to changes.

I keep the glass pretty clean/slick Zaino Z-12 polish followed by a couple coats of Jetseal from chemical guys makes it almost frictionless. Water just flies off there even running 30mph, at highway speeds it might as not be raining unless it's just a huge downpour.

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 06 EB doesn't do that either... my 06 300c does and I wish the EB did because of having it on the 300... Man have I gotten lazy in my latter years :(
That's strange that there is no word of it in the 2006owners guide or 2006 order guide.
300c option code isn't listed either.

Both reference speed sensitive wipers and the order guide references the rear window mounted wiper as a "class exclusive".

https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/201-2006-expedition-order-guide/

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bman440440

Reaction score