Auto Liftgate won't close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rexpedition99

Reaction score
I replaced the struts on my auto liftgate for my 2007 Expy and now the liftgate won't close automatically, although it will close if I do it manually.

I think I just need to adjust the lift height because the new struts are strong and hold the door up higher, and the gate almost closes but gives up and reverses when it is about 5 inches from being closed.

Does anyone know how to adjust the height, or have you had similar issues?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the struts on my auto liftgate for my 2007 Expy and now the liftgate won't close automatically, although it will close if I do it manually.

I think I just need to adjust the lift height because the new struts are strong and hold the door up higher, and the gate almost closes but gives up and reverses when it is about 5 inches from being closed.

Does anyone know how to adjust the height, or have you had similar issues?

Did you use aftermarket or MotorCraft struts?

When I replaced the original hatch struts on my 2015 Expedition, I had no issue with the power closer.

I seem to recall the vehicle owner’s manual has a reset procedure for the power hatch? Did you read your manual to see if it has a reset procedure also?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When all else fails, disconnect the battery for a minute or so and let the system recalibrate.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced my 13 with aftermarket struts, disconnected battery and no issues. It did learn a higher open position with new struts.