Automatic gear oil change is a topic that confuses!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sulatek

Reaction score
welcome everybody
Changing the automatic transmission fluid is really troublesome for many
Especially if it has not been changed for a long time, for example 200,000 km / 125,000 miles
There are those who have a common mind that the automatic transmission will change the new oil and will cause a malfunction
The problem is that manufacturers have designed the transmission and the oil container in a complex way that customers cannot easily change with the filter
what do you think??

thank you

IIGood

Reaction score
My girlfriend's 2010 Equinox had it's transfer case replaced this past summer at a local reputable transmission shop. Her car has 280,000 miles on it and she never had the transmission fluid changed or flushed.

When we picked the car up once the transfer case replacement was completed, the techs at the shop very strongly advised against having the transmission fluid flushed or changed at that point given the mileage. They said flushing it at that point would very likely cause failure much, much sooner than it running it's course.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haven't done the Expedition, yet.

Transfer cases on the truck/blazers required pulling a drain plug, reinstalling the drain plug, removing the fill plug and using a special cap/hose/valve attachment on a 1 qt. plastic bottle (used old gear oil bottles filled from gallon Dexron 2 or 3 jugs) to refill the transfer case. Stick the hose in, lift up the qt. bottle, open the valve, hold the hose in the transfer case, squeeze the qt. bottle, repeat, repeat, refill from the gallon jug, etc. till the transfer case is filled.

On the Jeep Cherokee Sport you had to unscrew the pan bolts, drop it down some, start draining fluid, pull the bolts out and pull the pan down off the dipstick tube. Once the filter was replaced you had to push the pan back into place against the dipstick tube friction till it popped together (o-ring in the pan the dipstick tube had to be pushed through) and then bolt it all back together without knocking the gasket out of alignment (a little formagasket to hold the gasket in place worked for me.)

That damn 95 S10 was a mother. You had to put a jack under the transfer case, unbolt and remove the transmission cross member (it was positioned under the rear lip of the filter pan), then unbolt the cross over pipe and pull it down out of the way (the driver's side pipe was under the front lip of the filter pan). Then drop the drain/drop the pan. Repeat all that to get the pan gasket back in place and bolted up and then put the cross over pipe and transmission cross brace back in place and bolt them up. GM fixed that on the 96's as the pan would drop out without having to take the other stuff loose/remove it first.

So, how hard can the Expedition really be??

OP
OP
sulatek

sulatek

Reaction score
My girlfriend's 2010 Equinox had it's transfer case replaced this past summer at a local reputable transmission shop. Her car has 280,000 miles on it and she never had the transmission fluid changed or flushed.

When we picked the car up once the transfer case replacement was completed, the techs at the shop very strongly advised against having the transmission fluid flushed or changed at that point given the mileage. They said flushing it at that point would very likely cause failure much, much sooner than it running it's course.
that what makes me confused alot !

OP
OP
sulatek

sulatek

Reaction score
Haven't done the Expedition, yet.

Transfer cases on the truck/blazers required pulling a drain plug, reinstalling the drain plug, removing the fill plug and using a special cap/hose/valve attachment on a 1 qt. plastic bottle (used old gear oil bottles filled from gallon Dexron 2 or 3 jugs) to refill the transfer case. Stick the hose in, lift up the qt. bottle, open the valve, hold the hose in the transfer case, squeeze the qt. bottle, repeat, repeat, refill from the gallon jug, etc. till the transfer case is filled.

On the Jeep Cherokee Sport you had to unscrew the pan bolts, drop it down some, start draining fluid, pull the bolts out and pull the pan down off the dipstick tube. Once the filter was replaced you had to push the pan back into place against the dipstick tube friction till it popped together (o-ring in the pan the dipstick tube had to be pushed through) and then bolt it all back together without knocking the gasket out of alignment (a little formagasket to hold the gasket in place worked for me.)

That damn 95 S10 was a mother. You had to put a jack under the transfer case, unbolt and remove the transmission cross member (it was positioned under the rear lip of the filter pan), then unbolt the cross over pipe and pull it down out of the way (the driver's side pipe was under the front lip of the filter pan). Then drop the drain/drop the pan. Repeat all that to get the pan gasket back in place and bolted up and then put the cross over pipe and transmission cross brace back in place and bolt them up. GM fixed that on the 96's as the pan would drop out without having to take the other stuff loose/remove it first.

So, how hard can the Expedition really be??
Thank you
Here we talk about another topic that is not just how to change the transmission oil

We talk about if it exceeds 200 thousand km and the liquid has not been replaced
Here is a problem for many, which is the fear that the transmission will be damaged after the fluid is replaced

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that what makes me confused alot !
The conventional wisdom about high mileage tranny flushes is that the force of a flush will dislodge a blizzard of small particles that otherwise have been trapped in some nook or cranny and cause havoc in the many valves and seals inside the transmission.

Low mileage flushes don't present that danger because the small particles are fewer in number.

For a high mileage tranny, just drop the pan, clean it out, replace the filter, and put in fresh fluid until its full. This will provide enough fresh fluid with the friction modifiers and other goodies that just wear out over time.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my flushed at 75k about 2 months ago. I thought it was a good idea at the time, the miles not that high. Now every time I feel a slightly off shift, I wonder if damage has been done.

OP
OP
sulatek

sulatek

Reaction score
I had my flushed at 75k about 2 months ago. I thought it was a good idea at the time, the miles not that high. Now every time I feel a slightly off shift, I wonder if damage has been done.
I am sorry to read that !

I think your car is still under warranty
regarding to this distance covered !

Nevin

Reaction score
I bought my '15 expedition last spring with 168,000 miles on it. Ford recommends changing the transmission fluid by 150k miles.

It was kind of a pain but I just disconnected one of the cooler lines at the front and let some pump out then I added that much back in the pan. Did that til my jug of new amsoil atl fluid was all in there and called it a day! Now at 184k miles and it still looks and smells fantastic.

So basically I did a fluid exchange. No regrets. The fluid wasnt BAD no burning smell but a bit of discoloration. It was at the top of my to-do list with high miles.

In the newer models anyway the 6r80 is an absolute TANK of a transmission. They are absolutely built for the long haul if you take care of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360