Automatic gear oil change is a topic that confuses!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not do a transmission flush, do drop and drain the pan and clean it as well as replace the filter. The 6R60, 6R75, 6R80 transmissions use a internal thermostatic valve which will not allow flow to the cooler until it hits 190 degrees, so many flushes payed for aren’t done. Flush is not advised regardless. With a pan drop you get about 7 of the 10 quart capacity so not much old fluid is left and you don’t loosen deposits. You are within range and can do this procedure safely.

*Important Note*

On 2007-2008 Expeditions ONLY use Mercon SP (6R75)

On 2009-2017 Expeditions ONLY use Mercon LV (6R80)

These fluids are both very specific and not interchangeable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sulatek

sulatek

Reaction score
I bought my '15 expedition last spring with 168,000 miles on it. Ford recommends changing the transmission fluid by 150k miles.

It was kind of a pain but I just disconnected one of the cooler lines at the front and let some pump out then I added that much back in the pan. Did that til my jug of new amsoil atl fluid was all in there and called it a day! Now at 184k miles and it still looks and smells fantastic.

So basically I did a fluid exchange. No regrets. The fluid wasnt BAD no burning smell but a bit of discoloration. It was at the top of my to-do list with high miles.

In the newer models anyway the 6r80 is an absolute TANK of a transmission. They are absolutely built for the long haul if you take care of them.

Thank you
This is a kind of dealing with such troubling issues
I wish you good luck with this method that I may do because I thought a lot about it

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would you not change your oil because it had been in there “too long?”

Engines are not like transmissions. They do not have clutch packs with friction material that needs to have enough friction to transfer movement to the appropriate parts and with enough force.
Engines are about flow and lubrication. A trans is even susceptible to damage from the wrong fluid as in TOO slippery or not slippery enough...so in other words too much lubrication can be very bad.

They have been computer controlled for decades now and if too slippery many will increase line pressure to try to compensate and if not slippery enough they will lower pressure to make it shift smoother which will introduce slippage and often too much.

A very well used /abused/neglected trans often is only working properly in all gears due to the friction of the old clutch material grit and particles on the faces of the clutch packs.
Wash this away with a flush or even a deluge of fresh fluid and slippage may occur soon after and then the car will not move in that gear.

This is what HAS happened enough times over the years to become warned about.

Flushes were NOT invented because they were better!
They were invented by quick lube places (or invented for shops) so they could "service" trans easier and quicker. NOT better.
No more 13-18 pan bolts to remove and reinstall and no risk of stripping any out. No risk of pan gasket leaks. No filter kit needed so fewer parts cost.
THEN they had the nerve to call it a better, premium service and charge MORE for it.
When it first came out, in my area a pan drop and filter change was 39.99. The T-tech flush was 79.99.
This was way back around 1997-2000.

Pan drop is safer. If one goes out after pan drop just due to fresh fluid, it was going soon anyway...BUT if you would have left it alone, you would have gotten longer.
Blasted hindsight!!!

Last edited:

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Engines are not like transmissions. They do not have clutch packs with friction material that needs to have enough friction to transfer movement to the appropriate parts and with enough force.
Engines are about flow and lubrication. A trans is even susceptible to damage from the wrong fluid as in TOO slippery or not slippery enough...so in other words too much lubrication can be very bad.

They have been computer controlled for decades now and if too slippery many will increase line pressure to try to compensate and if not slippery enough they will lower pressure to make it shift smoother which will introduce slippage and often too much.

A very well used /abused/neglected trans often is only working properly in all gears due to the friction of the old clutch material grit and particles on the faces of the clutch packs.
Wash this away with a flush or even a deluge of fresh fluid and slippage may occur soon after and then the car will not move in that gear.

This is what HAS happened enough times over the years to become warned about.

Flushes were NOT invented because they were better!
They were invented by quick lube places (or invented for shops) so they could "service" trans easier and quicker. NOT better.
No more 13-18 pan bolts to remove and reinstall and no risk of stripping any out. No risk of pan gasket leaks. No filter kit needed so fewer parts cost.
THEN they had the never to call it a better, premium service and charge MORE for it.
When it first came out, in my area a pan drop and filter change was 39.99. The T-tech flush was 79.99.
This was way back around 1997-2000.

Pan drop is safer. If one goes out after pan drop just due to fresh fluid, it was going soon anyway...BUT if you would have left it alone, you would have gotten longer.
Blasted hindsight!!!

No, you’re right. Transmissions are different from engines.

But this concept of a magical slurry of transmission fluid with clutch material ground up in it keeping a transmission working... I just don’t buy it.

Imagine it on a bigger scale. Would you expect your rear differential to work well if the teeth were ground down to nubs and the ground off teeth bits were floating in the gear oil? No, that’s a recipe for disaster.

If your clutch material has worn off into the fluid, I would expect it would do a better job at wearing off more clutch material than it would providing the required friction. Once it’s off the clutch, it’s debris and should be removed.

A neglected transmission is just that: a neglected transmission. It is on borrowed time.

Now, I will 100% agree that flushes are bad. But I also think that engine and coolant “flushes” (where they add chemical A and run it x miles) are bad.

Proper service is to drain the old, refill with new. Don’t pump anything, don’t use high pressure, etc. Just drop the pan, take a bath in transmission fluid, and refill with new.
(Repeat after so many miles to get more of that old fluid out of the torque converter.)

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
I think what usually happens is someone starts having transmission problems and thinks a fluid swap will fix it. So they do a high pressure flush and the transmission grenades 10,000 miles later.

“Must have been the new fluid!”

No, your transmission was dead already, you just didn’t know it.

If new fluid, by itself, killed transmissions, then the internet would be filled with guys who swap fluid at 50,000 miles complaining that the new fluid killed their transmission. Those posts don’t exist.

What does exist are the guys who, like above, try to heal worn transmission clutch packs with new transmission fluid, and that just doesn’t work.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, you’re right. Transmissions are different from engines.

But this concept of a magical slurry of transmission fluid with clutch material ground up in it keeping a transmission working... I just don’t buy it.

Imagine it on a bigger scale. Would you expect your rear differential to work well if the teeth were ground down to nubs and the ground off teeth bits were floating in the gear oil? No, that’s a recipe for disaster.

If your clutch material has worn off into the fluid, I would expect it would do a better job at wearing off more clutch material than it would providing the required friction. Once it’s off the clutch, it’s debris and should be removed.

A neglected transmission is just that: a neglected transmission. It is on borrowed time.

Now, I will 100% agree that flushes are bad. But I also think that engine and coolant “flushes” (where they add chemical A and run it x miles) are bad.

Proper service is to drain the old, refill with new. Don’t pump anything, don’t use high pressure, etc. Just drop the pan, take a bath in transmission fluid, and refill with new.
(Repeat after so many miles to get more of that old fluid out of the torque converter.)

Unfortunately that's not how it works. We also can't compare Transmission clutch packs to rear differentials which don't need friction to move the car.
Also your later comment about people complaining that after 50,000 miles they did a flush and their transmission went out would not occur either because 50,000 miles is way too early an interval to be in the situation that is being discussed. When I say hi mile neglected or abused transmission we are referring to one with well over a hundred thousand has never had the fluid changed. My theory and practice has always been anything under 85k is okay to do what you want. Even the flush it and hurt it.

But take one with 185k and the results can end up not being good.
You can say you don't buy it all you want but I have personally seen it happen a decent number of times so I do have some personal experience with the matter.
Of course with Transmissions changing some over the years we have to admit not all designs are going to work the same even if they used to.
The magic clutch dust holding them together you mention... I will remind you that the old used car lot trick to make a transmission move a car and stop slippage was to put sawdust into the transmission.
Many people are not aware of this because it happened in the past and it wasn't something I told people about.
Any old mechanic knows about the phrase sawdust in the transmission.
You have to remember also that on let's say a 4-speed transmission with overdrive, overdrive is almost always the first gear to start slipping.
It only takes three or four decent slips and the faces of the clutches can be polished so they won't grip anymore.

As I said before, if a flush or even a pan drop in fluid change causes one to go out quickly then it was on its last legs anyways but the point is... Sometimes those last legs can last a year or two under normal conditions.
Take the same vehicle and not change the fluid and do a few burnouts or let someone new drive the car who is really hard on it, get stuck in the mud and have to spend the tires back and forth, or tow a heavy trailer one time and the transmission would probably fail the same timeframe it failed after the flush.
I'm just telling you for a fact that often a flush is the straw that breaks the camel's back. Fewer timed a fluid change and pan drop is the straw but it can still be the straw.
There were even mechanics on high mile dirty fluid who would strain and filter the fluid and put it back in because they feared putting new back in would cause it to slip. I feel this is over-the-top cautious and as we've talked about, if it's going to go from just the fresh fluid then it's on its way out anyways so take your chances.

Also, back to the magic dust holding them together, actually, giving the friction so the car can move... that's what many of the additives like loose Lucas transmission stop slip does. Some even mention polymers and stuff but they just try to thicken up the fluid and make it less slippery so it can move the car easier.

Regarding your last post, it is very true that a lot of people don't seriously consider or they don't do any service to the transmission until they experience a symptom. So whether or not they changed the fluid, flush the Floyd or not Donna. Their transmission had already acted up and it might have been going to further mess up and stop moved in car in a week or two anyways. So regardless of whether they just change the fluid or flush the fluid and it goes out , it obviously had issues to start with.

I have, however, been involved with a handful that were experiencing no symptoms but had failures shortly after flushes. These were on cars that myself or friends purchased used and had no idea of any of the history other than the current condition of the Floyd. None of these were experiencing any symptoms but after a flush within two to three weeks the transmission started slipping.
After a few of these, I was able to convince my one friend who is OCD about maintenance and fluid and Amsoil Etc to stop doing transmission flushes and go back to pan drops and fluid changes.

If we were to want to do some scientific or at least a numeric evaluation, I would venture to put good money on a bet that if you took 100 cars with a hundred and fifty thousand miles on them whose fluid has never been changed and flushed half of them but pandrok and fluid changed or left the other half alone... I would bet a much higher and noticeable percentage of the Transmissions flushed would have failures and need to be rebuilt or replaced before 225000 miles.
I have had plenty of Ford 4 speed automatic transmissions go 250 plus thousand miles and never have the fluid changed.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can always find all kinds of things on the internet and of course there will be opposing opinions.
Regardless of what this person or that person says, there have been a good number of Transmissions with high miles and original fluid that were giving no symptoms or problems....that started slipping shortly after a flush.
There have been fewer that have failed after a pan drop, filter and fluid change.

So there is always a risk but less of a risk if you stay away from the flush machine. There of course is also a risk if you do nothing and leave the old fluid in there for thousands of more miles.
There is no perfect answer and all the research in the world is not going is not going to allow you to make a clear-cut 100% solid decision.
The only way you can do that with 100% confidence is to have a transmission with under let's say a 50 to 75 k on it then it doesn't really matter whether you flush it or just change the fluid but once you end up with a vehicle with high miles and very dark fluid you're in the catch-22.