AWD Details

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been trying to find details on the AWD system (not the 4x4 with 2-speed transfer case) in the 2018 Expy. Can't find anything definitive. Anybody have videos or tech articles on it?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s basically a downgraded version of the control trac system used from 2003 onward. Basically where control trac normally has 2H,4A,4H,4L they just dropped the 4H and 4L Modes and you are left with 4A. It’s control trac minus some functions. Similar system but dropped the driver input and low range gearing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not what I have. I have the AWD without the HD tow package, so no 2-speed transfer case. I'm wondering what my system has for hardware and software. I have all the Driving Modes and can select 2H or 4A only.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the HD tow package & FX4 option on our XLT
around the drive mode knob I have the 2H, 4A, 4H, 4L versions available
Also have the electronic locking differential:):)

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best article you will find on it is prolli the manual. From my u derstanding of the system, 4a will keep all the wheels spinning and designate power to any wheel that slips. This is also the main function of the drive modes, to simplify having to choose which mode you need for certain situations.

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual is not informative. The drive mode explanation describes transmission shift points, etc, not the AWD system so much. Is it a Borg Warner system, in-house or what? Electronic, brake torque? Inquiring minds want to know. I didn't get the tow package or locking differential, so don't have the 4L or 4H.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a BorgWarner transfer case on control trac equipped vehicles. None beyond the 2017 MY have a 4x4 High mode but 4A basically can act like 4H at times. 4A is usually sufficient I find as it chooses where to send the power via sensors. I use 4H when I’m in mud or deep snow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought that the 2018s with the tow package and FX4 have the two speed transfer case, so have 4H and 4L.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4x4 vehicles with the center console mounted shift knob have either:

A) 2H and 4A only if they are equipped w/o FX4 or HD tow pkg

or

B) 2H, 4A and 4L with the inclusion of a selectable electronic locking rear differential if they are equipped with either FX4 or HD tow pkg

4x4 vehicles with column shift lever and dash mounted 4wd selector knob has 2H, 4A, 4H and 4L.

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4x4 vehicles with the center console mounted shift knob have either:

A) 2H and 4A only if they are equipped w/o FX4 or HD tow pkg

or

B) 2H, 4A and 4L with the inclusion of a selectable electronic locking rear differential if they are equipped with either FX4 or HD tow pkg

4x4 vehicles with column shift lever and dash mounted 4wd selector knob has 2H, 4A, 4H and 4L.

Are you sure about that? I thought all 2018 Expys have the center console mounted shift knob and Drive Mode selectors, and that the FX4 and HD tow package have the 2H, 4A, 4H and 4L system.