Back from vacation-6 month update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greetings every one, just got back from a 5 day vacation in orlando, fl. Its been almost 7 mnths since i bought my truck, and now after our first road trip with her, i can write up a comprehensive review on her. We went to fla from de, about 2k miles the whole trip. 4 ppl(friends met us in fla so 6 ppl there) on board, 36 hrs total drive time. She now has 8k mi.

First the positive. She is quiet. Never once during the trip did i think the truck was overly loud, even over textured roads. The seat comfort was also phenomenal, i was the least amount of fatigued in this vehicle than any other car ive driven long term or owned. As a reference, ive previously owned an 08 fusion, 09 navigator, also own a 15 mazda 6, all driven cross country. Spent many miles in 13 jaguar xf, 15 escalade,07 camry, ram 1500, 15 expy as well. The flexibility for seating and cargo is great too. With six ppl and luggage for all of us(took my friends to and from the airport), we were able to all fit in relative comfort. Fuel economy was amazing for a vehicle this big. Going down, usually set speed about 5 above posted speed limit, mostly at 71mph. Filled up twice each way and once there, 5 fill ups total. Computer says 23.6 mpg with 570 mi dte. On the way back, picked up speed a little bit more, 22.5 mpg with 540 mi dte. The sound system proved very much capable as well, the younger passengers said it was too loud lol, never. There were a lot of sync features i wished i used more like the weather radar (it rained 3 of the 5 days we were in fla) and movie showtimes. Lastly, we all can agree, the transmission and engine combo is one of the best in autodom. Smooth shifts, effortless power anywhere in the band, sounds great and the drive modes really change the character of the car.

Now for the negatives(well more small nitpick s). The steering is a bit numb on the highway. Theres a dead spot on center that sometimes causes the car to wander. This is more apparent when making highway speed directional changes, you have to fight the dead spot to turn the car, it oversteers and the lane assist goes nuts because your correcting the steering too much. My wife and i also noticed the trucks steering was susceptible to truck air drafts. Its great around town and in sport mode though. The nav system isn't great. A few times we got lost due to it being outdated or it not knowing road closures. The info screen in the tach needs work too. Too much open space, it could have more detailed nav directions, show media and climate info, date and time info, etc. Though the interior is very flexible, the new vehicle design in the rear does cut into cargo space with how narrow it is. Lastly, the ride (base suspension w/ 20”) is good, but can definitely be improved upon. In most instances, its very smooth, but not as isolating as id like on rough or washboarded roads and can be a bit too hard edged on bumps. For context, though its not as “harsh” as my dads escalade or my old nav, they had a more floaty feel on open road and better bump isolation at speed. Its weird though, at some stretches it felt rough, but most other times its smoother than glass and damn near perfect and i havent been able to figure out why. Changed the tire pressure a few times on it, and noticed the car tpms was not very accurate as well. It needs about 3 more inches of wheel travel or dual stage/bypass shocks to make it more fluid feeling without the extra impact harshness, something like how the new rams do to be perfect. My next expy will def have the ccd, but i dont remember the base suspension of the 15 expys i drove having that firm feel on bumps. I still understand even with the base suspension that its the best ride offered, but you can tell the money went to the ccd lol.

In all, she exceeded all my expectations and im so glad we have her. Our vacation was great, wifey, her siblings and i had a great time. Wifey adores the truck, i think she looks for reasons to drive it now and def drove 13+ hours. Hopefully this review will help those looking for a summer car or is just a good read. The expy is by far the best of its type of vehicle on the road. Btw i saw atleast 9 expys almost exactly like mine, everybody had an 18 in orlando either by ownership or rental. We went to universal studios and sea world. If you were in orlando this past week with any gen expy or another car, let us know what you did, we might have saw one of you guys lol.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see where Michelin is now making three piece wheels with flexible flanges for wheels larger than 19". Helps with shock absorption. The article called the trend to larger wheels and low profile tires a "triumph of form over function". A fashion statement, as it were. They are very trendy, but really are nowhere near as practical as smaller rims. I stuck with 18" wheels, as that gives more sidewall compliance and so a better ride, and the rims themselves aren't as vulnerable to damage. I was able to avoid buying the CCD, too. Hey, it's an SUV, guys.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The nav system isn't great. A few times we got lost due to it being outdated or it not knowing road closures.

Enjoyed the read, but what is this? I've read similar postings here and on other automotive forums and have come to the conclusion many people have given up on following big green (and orange) road signs and have become 100% reliant on watching their GPS screen. Or they've become dependent on apps like WAZE, relying on others to figure out best and alt routes for them.

If you got lost "a few times" in 2K miles, of mostly interstate, IMO you are overly relying on an aid and not using best driver judgement.

Otherwise, sounds like the truck is suiting you well. Please don't take as a flame, it could be the low-tech, keep it simple pilot in me.

Along the same lines - what tire pressure readings were you seeing with your handheld gauge verses dashboard electronic TPM sensors? Checking and/or adding air to cool or hot tires?

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In regards to the nav system, it works fine in most situations and yes traffic signs in front of you work fine as well. Its hard to follow signs though if youre in an area you never been and your destination isnt on the sign lol. Also, its hard to decipher on expressways when you need to take an exit, a sign tells you one thing, and your trucks nav tells you another. I mean we made it there and back i just think it could be better.

As far as the ride, it could very well be the tires. I cant imagine whats on them being quality tires. Could also be why the tpms readings seemed off(as well as temp and outside air prrssure). Before we left, the tpms said the tires were at 36-37, it was mid 80s in the evening. Used a personal meter, they read 39, so i used it to lower to 35ish. We hit the road and felt every bump on the highway, didnt feel right. Stopped for gas about 80mi about an hr later. Car read 36 again, meters read 38 to 40. Lowered to 35ish, car read 32 to 34, ride felt much better. Get to fl the next day and everythings fine for a cpl days. Third day it rains, Tpms warning light comes on reading 30 in the car. Raised to 35 using the auto air pump, car reads 37- 38.

Like i said, when its good, it rides the fantastic. When its not though, theres a lot of movement in the cabin, moreso than the older suv it replaced. Im not comparing the ride to a luxury sedan, though i kno automakers are capable to do so with their suvs. Im comparing to the vehicles ive driven long term, as test driven vehicles dont really give you an accurate portrayal of ride. I didnt get the ccd only because i didnt want the 22s to get damaged, but i wanted the system and why ford wont calibrate and offer it on the 20s is disappointing. Its still comfortable however.

Jeffrey Long

Reaction score
The tpms on our '18 Expy is always +/- about 1lbs of pressure from my handheld gauge, and that is close enough for me. Our Expy has CCD and has a much more refined/smoother ride than the Tahoe it replaced. As for the nav, my only gripe is that once you are moving, most nav functions can only be done by voice command. On the Chevy if you were in motion it had an acknowledgement button that allowed input into the Nav. On the plus side for the Nav on the Expy, we were heading west on I-10 through Mobile, AL and and the Nav automatically routed us around a major accident on the bridge that crosses the bay saving us about 45 minutes, so I can vouch that the travelink data+nav works.

Spoiledhappywife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May I ask if you have nitro in your tires and if not why not?

I had nitro from day 1 and never had any issues. Our Ford Pass app also enables you to view your tire pressure

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree the Nav is a bit funky, in a separate thread I started, I asked other were having problems. On a drive a few times from Michigan to Florida a few weeks , GPS showed me "off route" when I was on mature sections of I75 or I95.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My TPMS is accurate enough, +/- 1PSI. I have Michelin Primacy XC on my XLT Max, which seem to be decent tires. Mileage warranty is 55,000 miles. I run them at 42PSI, so the ride is firmer than if I ran them at 36PSI. Ride is very good, though.

I wasn't going to pay extra for electronic stuff, I generally know where I'm going. Besides, our phones work fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1