Software Update for Camera Functionality???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharPatton

Reaction score
I love our 2023 Timberline, but I wonder if one software upgrade is possible.

Our 2015 BMW X5 had nice functionality with the camera: The camera system would automatically turn on at slow forward speeds. In our Ford, when parking (to check painted ground lines to center the truck), one has to do two touch presses of the "iPad" screen: the first brings one to the Tow screen (which we rarely use), and the second turns on the camera.

Is there any way to automatically turn on the camera at a given slow forward speed and not get distracted by making two touchscreen presses? If not, can one at least have the camera come up as the first option when tapping the touchscreen?

Thank you.

GunnerRetz

Reaction score
The single button selection for the forward camera is exactly what I’m looking for as well. Is there a way to set a default for cameras that would turn on the front camera, like the back camera coming on when placed in reverse?

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The newest Sync updates for the 4a system add a one touch camera to the main screen. May help with what you are looking for.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To add to the above, the front camera does automatically turn on at slow speeds when the front parking sensors detect an object. I realize that may not suffice for every parking situation but is better than nothing. Also on the smaller touchscreen model there is a dedicated hard button for the front camera on the dash. Good to hear the larger screen got a software button as well now.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To add to the above, the front camera does automatically turn on at slow speeds when the front parking sensors detect an object. I realize that may not suffice for every parking situation but is better than nothing. Also on the smaller touchscreen model there is a dedicated hard button for the front camera on the dash. Good to hear the larger screen got a software button as well now.
It does?

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. I know this because that is what I use every time I park it in the garage. Comes on when it detects the wall in front of me.
Must be a '22 and newer feature. Doesn't do that on my '18.
Congratulations lol.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Must be a '22 and newer feature. Doesn't do that on my '18.
Congratulations lol.
Interesting. I thought the pre-refresh we test drove had it as well, though it might have been a 2020 I think. Regardless it wouldn't be hard to implement it though Ford would never go back and do it. At least the 18s have a lot more other features that weren't de-contented in the layer model years!

mpc11

Reaction score
Interesting. I thought the pre-refresh we test drove had it as well, though it might have been a 2020 I think. Regardless it wouldn't be hard to implement it though Ford would never go back and do it. At least the 18s have a lot more other features that weren't de-contented in the layer model years!
It does not do this in my '21. I have to manually press the button no matter the speed or sensor reading. Would be great if it automatically came on though!

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Must have been a refresh update. I won't lie, it is nice. Since the OP has a 23 it should operate like my 22 at least.