Back up camera fuzzy/static

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Templeton

Reaction score
Wife drives a 2017 expedition limited . Out of the blue back up camera got blurry/ staticky like a tv when antenna is not tuned . The only connection I can make to the failure is my 12 year old son accidentally slammed the lift gate instead of pushing the button to electronically shut lift gate . Maybe that slam jarred something loose ? How would you advise troubleshooting . And if it needs replaced is it a simple replace procedure or should I leave it to the professionals ? Vehicle is out of warranty . Thank you for any and all advice .

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a three-month-old one and the backup camera is the absolute worst I've ever used, and even worse at night. Going in to the dealer in a couple minutes so they can look into it.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a three-month-old one and the backup camera is the absolute worst I've ever used, and even worse at night. Going in to the dealer in a couple minutes so they can look into it.
I agree my 17 is worthless almost at night. The camera in my work car works just as well if not better when dark, cause there no glare on the display. Let us know what dealer says.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dunno if it's the same system or not, but it seems quite likely... my '12 Lincoln Navigator camera has become extremely useful at night after just 2 simple mods:

1) LED license plate lights - already quite good
2) add LED reverse lights - now literally sees better at night than in daylight

Both mods use JDM Astar 194/168 LED bulbs (same as map lights front and middle row), had these on various vehicles for a couple years now no complaints.

Unlit FULLY DARK lot, contrast on screen turned WAAAY down (hate ambient lighting at night, it's annoying):

2019-02-12 01.02.14.jpg

Contrast up, sparsely lit side street:
2019-02-12 01.01.23.jpg
2019-02-12 01.06.26.jpg

Bit grainy, but quite useable and well-lit

You need 4 bulbs, a 10 pack on Amazon is like 12 bucks...

4 more bulbs can be used to do your interior, or IIRC 5? for top brake light

PS as to OP's issue, not sure but sounds like a loose connection somewhere

Last edited: