Bang & Olufsen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jking05

Reaction score
I was expecting a lot more from the system when i turned it up. I have sonos throughout my house and guess im used to that.

blakwing42

Reaction score
This is the weak link in the Truck IMO.

Now.. Don't get me wrong. The audio is very clear across the band. The system performs well.

However Ford (like in the Lincoln THX systems) has erred on the side of "personal safety". This means that, while playing Disturbed, Indestructible at full volume I can have a clear conversation with my passenger by merely raising my voice a touch. Someone has decided that it's too dangerous to have loud music in a car. The lincoln would start out loud and then actually decrease in volume as the tracks became more intense. This was easily measurable with a SPL meter. The B&O system isn't as obvious with it's intrusive volume limiting, but it does it by never allowing the system to spool up in the first place. I'm an adult. I'm capable of making my own decisions. I don't need a corporate nanny deciding what's best for me.

And no.. This isn't a MyKey issue that is artificially limiting the volume or the speed limited volume being turned on.

Also. Bass. Or lack there-of. The bass is present and clear but has no presence or feel. For instance.. Playing the Spiderman, into the Spider-verse soundtrack there are 2 bass heavy tracks. Whats up Danger and Start a Riot. These songs have heavy, artificial bass that's meant to be of the window rattling variety. It's there for presence more than musical tone. And in the B&O system it's non-existent. It's there. you can hear it. But you absolutely can not "feel" it.

By comparison the stock stereo in my 2013 Ram Tradesman (base truck) is both far louder and has far more low bass presence. It's not as clear or musical but it jams.

This system will be one of the first things I'll replace when any kind of viable option is made available that won't interfere with the stock camera, climate and safety systems.

This is, of course, my personal opinion and is worth exactly what was paid for it. :)

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I listened to Edgar Winter's Frankenstein and EL&P's Lucky Man today (Sirius/XM) and cranked it up a bit more than I normally like. Volume 8-10 is my normal setting at freeway speeds. I think I had the volume up to 16 today. It actually sounded more pure in treble and bass than at lower volume. Perhaps that's a balance setting adjustment I need to play with with my lower volume settings?

Unrelated to the thread topic, but I still cannot believe it's a V6 :burnout:

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Now.. Don't get me wrong. The audio is very clear across the band. The system performs well.

However Ford (like in the Lincoln THX systems) has erred on the side of "personal safety". This means that, while playing Disturbed, Indestructible at full volume I can have a clear conversation with my passenger by merely raising my voice a touch. Someone has decided that it's too dangerous to have loud music in a car. The lincoln would start out loud and then actually decrease in volume as the tracks became more intense. This was easily measurable with a SPL meter. The B&O system isn't as obvious with it's intrusive volume limiting, but it does it by never allowing the system to spool up in the first place. I'm an adult. I'm capable of making my own decisions. I don't need a corporate nanny deciding what's best for me.

And no.. This isn't a MyKey issue that is artificially limiting the volume or the speed limited volume being turned on.

Also. Bass. Or lack there-of. The bass is present and clear but has no presence or feel. For instance.. Playing the Spiderman, into the Spider-verse soundtrack there are 2 bass heavy tracks. Whats up Danger and Start a Riot. These songs have heavy, artificial bass that's meant to be of the window rattling variety. It's there for presence more than musical tone. And in the B&O system it's non-existent. It's there. you can hear it. But you absolutely can not "feel" it.

By comparison the stock stereo in my 2013 Ram Tradesman (base truck) is both far louder and has far more low bass presence. It's not as clear or musical but it jams.

This system will be one of the first things I'll replace when any kind of viable option is made available that won't interfere with the stock camera, climate and safety systems.

This is, of course, my personal opinion and is worth exactly what was paid for it. :)

Try this, lean your head up as close the the windshield as possible while a bass heavy track is playing and hear the difference. This tells me there is a placement issue with how the sub fires. Also, if I have my weathertech sun screen up on the windshield it completely changes the bass dynamics.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use to compete professionally In car audio competitions. I have had dozens of high end systems that would cost tens of thousands of dollars to the public. So no stock system ever sounds good to me. But the B&O is just good enough to drown out a few crying kids in the back seats. Staging and imaging are pretty good for a multi passenger vehicle, power output is ok, clarity is pretty good for stock and bass output sucks balls. I am going to add 1- JL 12” PowerWedge+ to see if it will help or overwhelm the stock system. I am sure JL will make a stealth stock replacement soon. This would be an easy and cheap way to add some bass that can be taken out quickly when you need the room. If it overpowers the stock system I will probably do all new speakers and amps. It will be interesting to see how the aluminum body will deal with some serious SPL. These new expedition are getting crazy popular for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You hit the nail on the head. In my 3rd gen EL with the Audiophile system if you crank it past half volume it’s shaking the mirrors outside the truck. The bass is powerful, and the sound is very clear especially listening on a device or CD vs radio. You definitely cannot talk to anyone in mine once you hit half throttle on the volume, it’s loud. Ford decided to remove the good sound in the 2015 model year. F-150 owners claim the same that you do. Most who have owned the audiophile or still do are disappointed with the Sony/ B&O systems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These new expedition are getting crazy popular for some reason.
That's the truth. Several dealers I stopped in at to look at used rigs said they were moving used inventory really quickly and new inventory even faster. I think the reason is because Ford has put together one heck of a package in the full size SUV class. While the B&O sound system may not win amongst its competitors, the rest of the design/function/performance does IMHO.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The b&o is actually better than most its competitors. Its better than the gm bose units and nissan bose unit as well. I dnt kno of its better than the jbl unit sequoia though. Dodge is known to put amazing sound systems in their vehicles though. I hrd the base unit in the durango and it was amazing for a base unit.

blakwing42

Reaction score
That's the truth. Several dealers I stopped in at to look at used rigs said they were moving used inventory really quickly and new inventory even faster. I think the reason is because Ford has put together one heck of a package in the full size SUV class. While the B&O sound system may not win amongst its competitors, the rest of the design/function/performance does IMHO.

Absolutely.. As a package I don't regret my purchase at all. The truck is, hands down, the only large SUV purchase that made sense for us. We looked at all the rest from every automaker. The Expedition Max is the only truck out there that fit the bill and checked all our boxes.

Nothing is going to be perfect. The Radio can be addressed by the aftermarket eventually. The only other ****** is the 22" rims. We've already scuffed one in a moderate pot hole hit.. They look nice but are way too big with far too little tire to adequately protect them. But. In order to get all the options we wanted we had to go with the Platinum. And that came with the B&O and the big rims. Both can be fixed fairly easily.

We just have to wait for the aftermarket to catch up.