basic/best couple mods for '03 5.4 mpgs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mnerat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone done straight pipe?? Or does it lose too much back pressure on this motor??

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A muffler delete would improve exhaust velocity, given that the pipe size stayed the same. Increased exhaust velocity aids in scavenging. Horsepower and torque would increase. Backpressure would be like stuffing a rag in your tailpipe. This would decrease exhaust velocity, and decrease power and torque.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mnerat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I might do it just for the heck of it...if I don't like the sound I'll get a muffler

DRS1

Reaction score
I saw a couple mpg increase with my k&n intake...then I added flomaster 40 exhaust and saw an increase in mpg again...then I got a programmer...most drastic increase combined with intake and exhaust...18-19 city 22-23 hwy mpg...dont worry about headers...u will see no change

Follow up questions... What brand and model programmer did you get? Is it a full time model you can tune on the fly? Did you get the full K and N system with intake tubes and all? Or the paper replacement?

I have 2003 2v since new, now 160k+. Bone stock. At one point used K and N insert. Went back to paper.

Not interested in a highway drone, but would like to change exhaust to help with mileage and performance.

We are going to keep this for more years. It has been in semi retirement for some time sitting in garage and used on occasion. Looking to spruce it up a bit in mileage and performance. Thinking of one of my family members to use daily. I liked you increase in mileage with the three mods. Big improvement.

Genesis 2012 TAU 5.0
Sent from my iPhone using Tap..

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Follow up questions... What brand and model programmer did you get? superchips cortex 1950Is it a full time model you can tune on the fly? fulltimeDid you get the full K and N system with intake tubes and all? Or the paper replacement? full system

I have 2003 2v since new, now 160k+. Bone stock. At one point used K and N insert. Went back to paper. I have 150K

Not interested in a highway drone, but would like to change exhaust to help with mileage and performance. flowmaster 50 series and u can hear what they sound like on their site

We are going to keep this for more years. It has been in semi retirement for some time sitting in garage and used on occasion. Looking to spruce it up a bit in mileage and performance. Thinking of one of my family members to use daily. I liked you increase in mileage with the three mods. Big improvement. u wont get HUGE numbers...it is a SUV...6K lbs...if u don't live in stop and go traffic that will help...I don't care for horsepower/torque so if u do u cant have both

Genesis 2012 TAU 5.0
Sent from my iPhone using Tap..

------------------------------------------

OP
OP
M

mnerat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm dd mine about 50 miles round trip...all highway except like 4 miles

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good read. Has anyone had the stock Y pipe replaced and if so how much did the shop charge to do it and does it help gas mileage at all? I've had cats get clogged before and with having 4 of them on this truck... Headers... yeah shorties are going to be a waste of money just like they are in Mustangland IMO.

As long as the stock manifolds on my 5.4L are good I will roll with those. I'd love a true dual setup but that is probably overkill. I'd just like a nice 2 cat Y pipe with high flows to a dynomax or magnaflow catback and leave the stock manifolds well enough alone.

My truck is coming up on 120k miles and I am going to be DDing it a lot more now that I sold my Mustang. If I could achieve the claimed 23/24 hwy mpg number in this thread... that would be spectacular.

What I have done recently is:

-Basic routine fluid maintenance (oil/trans/TC/both diffs)
-Autolite APP104s
-Rebuilt OEM COPs (new boots and springs)
-New Napa paper filter
-Both left wheel bearings were bad so I did them

What is coming up this/next month:

-New tires and a 4 corner alignment
-Fuel filter
-All 3 belt idlers
-Other 2 wheel bearings

Also thinking of getting a cheap set of rebuilt/flow tested injectors since from my experience the originals I have are probably effed after 14 years and 116k miles. I'm also a little leery about spending the $$$ on the K&N kit. The stock intake is a true cold air setup and not restrictive (especially with the Gotts mod).

So basically with a programmer, a good set of tires, all the upkeep, an exhaust and a light foot I could see 20mpg on the highway out of this thing?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm not worried about power whatsoever with this thing, if I want power I'll get a cheap SN95 Mustang and mod it to hell and back. For this truck I just want a nice comfortable, reliable vehicle that doesn't do quite as bad as 14.5mpg on gas.