battery drained in 3 days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

truckguy

Reaction score
220ma is fairly significant and will keep killing batteries.

Trainmaster is on the right track, wiper and radio are common issues. The fact you stated your cd changer has a bad attitude lately points to an obvious place to start.

Do you have anything aftermarket installed like lights, remote start, alarm?
No after market stuff as far as I know

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its a new to you vehicle or you have just never had a reason to look pop your head up under the dash and see if something looks like it "doesn't belong". If it were an aftermarket remote start or bypass module (i think they are possible on some 3rd gens) you'll see a rectangular box about the size of a hand or if a bypass maybe the size of a deck of cards w a harness and typically quite a few wires coming out. Bypass would primarily have small 20-22g wires and a full fledged remote start would have a mix of probably 14-22ga. Going to several different points.

Its not terribly common but if a relay were to fail that usually energizes ignition or otherwise that could cause a decent drain. The guy I bought my 03 off of had no idea it had an aftermarket remote start. He never received a fob from original owner and wasn't a technical person by any means and had never looked under there. I popped 1 of the original factory keys out of the wrap that was installed under the dash and he was like wow I paid for one like 6 years ago. He assumed the antenna for the system was a factory thing, despite it looking sorely out of place.

Ford is usually decent at wrapping up most all harnesses, you won't see much wire just hanging about, it also tends to be fairly well secured to various parts of the dash frame. If something is there you'll zero in on it pretty quick I imagine.

os1kne

Reaction score
I'd definitely go to Autozone / AdvanceAuto / Pep Boys, etc. to have them test your battery and charging system. It's probably free. Good luck.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Load test the battery. I had to replace the battery on my 20,000 mile 2017 a couple of months ago. Fords eat batteries for some reason. Remote locks, radio memory, and other things always pulling power.

Your battery will probably fail load testing due to damage from severe discharge just sitting there.

Do your parasitic electrical testing again. Start pulling fuses and see where the draw is. Clicking CD player is my first suspect.

-- Chuck

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might be able to save the battery if you put a decent battery charger on it for a few days. Jumping it and running the engine will not charge a battery. I'm a dealer for Interstate and you would not believe the customer cores I have running in my stuff for years. Yes some are truly shot, but like the op here some are fairly new with plenty of life left all they need is TLC and a proper charge.

Getting back to the original problem...on my '16 Expy I have a waterproof marine battery charger permanently installed near the battery and keep it plugged in when not driving it. There is a large parasitic drain on these new systems.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford has had large parasitic electrical draws for ever.

I went so far as putting a Priority Start on my '02 Explorer and '07 Expeditions as the battery could die over a long weekend. Non switched 12v "cigarette lighter" outlet and a device or two plugged doesn't help and easy to forget unplugging them. I've also resorted to a switch on the battery if I have to park at the airport for a couple of weeks but I hate the "relearn" the car has to do afterwards.

I have battery charger pigtails on all three of my car batteries since they're getting very few miles during the pandemic.

-- Chuck

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to jinx my Expedition here and say that it sits for a couple weeks at a time and so far it starts right up when I turn the key.

Not telling my wife I just typed that, she'll remind me of it if I have to go buy a battery in the next few weeks.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '17 did sit at the airport for two weeks in 2018 and (once I remembered where I'd parked!) started right away on return. That battery died a couple of months ago after dying several times parked in my driveway last year and not being driven often as we sheltered in place during this pandemic. I estimate the battery was 4 years old. The battery in my wife's 2014 Subaru was replaced last summer after 6 years and the one in my Honda was replaced a couple of months ago after maybe 4 years. Lots of parasitic battery loads are taking their toll with the low mileage driven the past year and dispute occasional manual battery charging.

I put AGMs in the Ford and Subaru. Will see how long they live.

-- Chuck

Mmart

Reaction score
The lockdowns this year took a toll on both my batteries. I was able to recharge the battery in my Taurus and kept it but the battery in my 2010 EB gave out for good around May. Just too much sitting, it got to the point that just leaving it parked for a few days caused me to need a jump start. I have had the truck for just about 3 yrs and that’s the battery that came with it. I bought an AGM battery since I had such good results with the one I put in my motorcycle I figured it was worth it for the vehicle I depend on the most.

donsmrs

Reaction score
I recently replaced the IMRC, at the same time replaced spark plugs, serpentine belt and cylinder head temp sensor:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...n-intake-manifold-runner-control-stuck.45688/
Drove it for 80 miles each day on 2 consecutive days with no problem. Then parked in drive way for 3 days and yesterday found out that the battery had completely drained. Today I jump started it and drove it around for 30 min with no problem.

Did not have the battery drain problem before the IMRC thing. I wonder if I forgot to plug something when reinstalling things.

Also noticed the cd changer clicking in constant intervals during the 2 days I drove it (maybe every 10 min or so). That thing had been bad ever since I got the car. I remember before the IMRC job it would click when I start the car, but then it'll be quiet for the drive.