Bed Cover Help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vin_mac

Reaction score
Hello,

I know this is not expedition related, but I figured some of my fellow Ford owners could help point me in the right direction. I am looking for a bed cover for my 2012 F-150. Something that we can lock and hopefully keep everything dry. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a bunch. Current F150 has Extang solid 3 panel folding "Trifecta". About $500. I've had solid fiberglass, I've had roll-up soft tonneau that velcro'd to plastic rails. Most lock in one way or another from the inside and your locking tailgate secures it all. There are pros and cons to each. I probably liked my solid fiberglass covers the best. Leer brand a couple of times, ARE, and a Jason. Not cheap, and then you have to add in for paint. Which might be another cost if you trade for a new truck in a different color. Biggest complaints about solid fiberglass is its a chore to remove, especially by yourself, and sometimes the glare coming off of it looking out the rear view mirror. They especially can be aggravating if you find yourself needing to load something tall unexpectedly.

The type I wouldn't personally recommend is the soft ones or hard accordion style that retract into a small box up front. Retrax is the largest peddler of these. If you have a supercrew with an already short bed, these just take up too much room at the front of the bed. And they can be super pricey. Some require drain holes to be drilled into the bed itself. And I've seen more than one with hail holes punched right thru it. Noticed you are in Texas, so that should be considered. From F150 forums a lot of snow-belt state truck owners have thoughts related to snow load.

Solid fiberglass, in my experience, kept the inside bone dry. My new solid 3 panel will let in just a little water, but not much. There isn't one out there that isn't theft-proof, so just be mindful of what you keep in it and where.

You didn't mention but don't look for any real fuel savings. And resale value can be terrible. The used market has a bunch of bargains if it helps.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You do realize you posted your F150 request in the Expedition column! You probably would get a better response in the truck forum.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No complaints with retrax here. It takes up a little space behind the cab like a work box but it’s a good cover. It is aluminum I believe and pulls out and latches/locks and rolls back in when you need the bed quickly. I liked this one because the ease of access.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire