Best Pricing Guides? Buying Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Online Pricing Guides?
I have been using www.edmunds.com and www.nadaguides.com to get pricing guides on various Expeditions that I have been looking at...interestinghow dealers will list a car at 28K, but pricing guides put it at maybe 22k-23k...are there really people who might just say "whatever you say on the price, where do I sign?" especially with used cars....

I find the sites can be very different in the pricing quidlines, and with dealers they very likely are using a dealer specific pricing guide...do you guys have any suggestions other than Edmunds or NADA Guides? SHould I pick up a paper version of the NADA Gude?

Buying a Used Expy Suggestions?
Also I have read through www.carbuyingtips.com and have some good experience with buying used cars (get a Carfax report, have a mechanic look at it...ask the forum for advice) anything else to keep in mind, or checks before buying?

Thanks for any suggestions or other sites to better understand pricing or pre-purchase check outs.

OP
OP
G

Bare in mind, that those listed are only guidelines. Most dealerships use the "black book" for pricing.

http://www.blackbookusa.com/products.asp

They do not use edmunds of Kelleys. (www.kbb.com) Some independent used dealers do use nada book, but by in large they use the black book.

Some websites have subscription services with black book and you can run your vehicle there. www.cars.com is one of those sites. Use all the sites and take an average of all of them.

In this area, SUV's are bringing bottom dollar values. Don't know about your area. Remember also, that trade-in and retail are two different numbers. Dealers have to cover costs of clean-up, service, advertising, profits, etc.