Best programmer for mileage increase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a little off thread but relates - mileage!

Has anyone added the k&n cold air intake and saw an increase in fuel economy on the edge programmers read-out????

What kind of fuel mileage gains can you expect out of the K&N?

Or how about the gotts mod???

Last edited:

DougEckard

Reaction score
I did the gotts mod and have had a decrease in my mpg. Also just took a trip to Dallas and was only getting around 14mpg even with my cortex(super chips)programmer tuned to milage xs.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the gotts mod and have had a decrease in my mpg. Also just took a trip to Dallas and was only getting around 14mpg even with my cortex(super chips)programmer tuned to milage xs.

Did you reset the computer by pulling the battery after the mod? You need too.

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
15.3 MPG on freeway. Is that good?

I just did my mileage 2 times.
One was freeway and street: 13mpg
Freeway only: 15.3mpg

Not sure if that is good or not...

I have the edge programmer on the highest setting...

ADVICE? Anyone with an edge know what the best mileage setting is? 1,2,3???

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for me I keep it in level 2 and have great luck leaving it there... plus on level 3 it is recommended to run higher octane fuel and it seems like it takes more fuel but the power is there.... level 2 makes mine feel like it has great power and shift points and my mpg has improved since i installed it

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for me I keep it in level 2 and have great luck leaving it there... plus on level 3 it is recommended to run higher octane fuel and it seems like it takes more fuel but the power is there.... level 2 makes mine feel like it has great power and shift points and my mpg has improved since i installed it

I'll try it, thanks.

Ever bust any front axles or gears with those 37s?
The Expedition rear ends are sweet! But I wonder about the front...
Just lunched the gears on the rear end pictured with the punkin. I run 4:88 with 40 inch by 17 wide. The ring gear is 9.5" with missing teeth now - the expedition is 9.75"... even bigger gears.

I would never have broke with less HP...

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no problem with the 37s at all and have been on for over two years now... before this had a 97 F150 running 38x15.5 with the 8.8 rear end and 4.88s and it held up well... but one of these days need to get gears put in the expy either going with 4.56 or 4.88... but thats on the back burner for a while

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Edge programmer left me stranded for 5 days...

no problem with the 37s at all and have been on for over two years now... before this had a 97 F150 running 38x15.5 with the 8.8 rear end and 4.88s and it held up well... but one of these days need to get gears put in the expy either going with 4.56 or 4.88... but thats on the back burner for a while

I'm sure the gears will last a life time with the EXPY's HP...
But, If you stepped the power up, it will still handle it!
That rear end is massive! I love it. I look at it and think, "this could handle some boggers and 500 HP or more".

I have to put another set of 4.88 in my Chevy with a 9.5 inch gear. The last set busted off some gears and it wiped out my clutches in the Eaton posi... Thats how I discovered the gears were bad. i popped the cover and there were the pieces stuck to the magnet.:( OH well...:p Get another set. I hope Eaton gives me a warranty and I will trade it for a locker! And be done!!!

My Edge programmer wiped my computer clean! I let my programmer adjust a friends computer with an EXPY and then put it in mine. Then it said, "this programmer is set to another computer. Return to stock then proceed" So I hit enter and then the programmer cleared my stock program and wouldn't load a new one!!!!!!!!! Well, a trip to the dealer later to re-flash the stock program and it runs again.

Edge is suppose to pay for it. We'll see.