Better mileage pulling trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming everything is in well maintained proper working condition, the biggest mileage factor while towing is speed (specifically, aerodynamics). Slowing down to the lowest safe speed will get you the most mileage benefit.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can also lock out 9th and 10th gears. This helps by preventing the turbos from kicking on too early (raises engine RPMs instead). As you know once those turbos spool up there goes the mileage.

Though like the others said above, it is hard to overcome aerodynamics. Speed also makes a big difference as noted above and drag is related to the square of the velocity so it goes up quickly, especially with a huge wall you are towing.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I consistently tow at 60 mph. My mileage in the Pacific Northwest (read mountains) averages 11 mpg. I just keep remembering that I’m not paying for hotels!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Key is slow down!

Air resistance is the major factor in moving a vehicle with or without a trailer and air resistance is exponential: It's twice at 70mph that it was at 50mph! Other factors are minor.

Premium fuel gets you about a 10% improvement in fuel economy when towing -- maybe. But at a 24.2% cost increase -- for sure! * Take your choice: Power or Money. :)

* Average fuel prices today in Richmond VA.

-- Chuck

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious what the KO2’***** was. Use to run them on my old Land Cruiser which got 11mpg regardless of anything done to improve mileage . Running BFG trail Terrain on the Expedition and really liking them. Best average hit from stock tires might be just shy of 1mpg at highway speeds. Heavy tow pack 20-23mpg long trip averages nakid no trailer is pretty standard. Guessing the KO’s are a bigger hit?

275x70x18 (33x11) Lost 1 mpg mostly due to increased weight and rolling resistance compared to the stock 275x65x18 Michelin Primacy P rated tires. Almost 20K miles on them and have been very pleased. Had BFG TA/KO's in the past but this is my first set of KO2's.