Better mileage pulling trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkitchen

Reaction score
I need to find a way to get better mileage from my Expedition when pulling my travel trailer.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to find a way to get better mileage from my Expedition when pulling my travel trailer.

Basics:

Proper tire inflation, including the trailer.
Engine in good shape? Clean air filter?
Use premium fuel when towing (recommended in my owner’s manual).
Conservative driving habits.
Do not exceed the speed limit.
Remove unnecessary items from the vehicle & trailer.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which engine and what mileage are you seeing? How fast are you driving? Trying using premium fuel and slow down. Speed is the enemy of mpg, and that goes double when you're towing.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
aerodynamics can’t be cheated. Big box is like dragging a parachute. I have a 4x6 trailer that has two configurations low profile mode and tall
Side mode. Same exact load in low profile mode I don’t see hardly any mileage impact 21-22mpg trip averages all the time. With the tall sides setup 15-16mpg trip averages with the same exact load.

If you have the typical RV box on wheels your not fixing the aerodynamic drag problem unless you make it a pop up that has a 3-4ft wall height in road mode. Even 12-16ft boxy RV trailers in the 3000lb range return lousy mileage for the same exact reason

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
aerodynamics can’t be cheated. Big box is like dragging a parachute.
This is the correct answer. My travel trailer is 7,000 lbs wet and I've seen anything from 7 mpg to 10.5 mpg depending primarily on speed, wind direction, and road grade. The best method for improving mpg with a travel trailer is to reduce speed.

The reality is that unless you're towing frequently or for long distances, it's not much of a difference. Going from 8 mpg to 10 mpg is a 25% improvement. But it's only 25% for that trip. If you were spending $1,000 on gas for a trip, you just saved $250. At $4 for premium, that's ~2,000 miles of towing. If you have a travel trailer and an Expedition, $250 is probably not breaking the bank.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually the best gas saving device is your right foot! I've been pulling at 60-62 mph max and get 9 to 9.5 mpg. In a 55 mph zone I'll get almost 10 mpg. I run 65 psi in my BFG KO2's on the tow vehicle and 75-80 psi on the trailer tires (Goodyear Endurance) I mostly tow short distances in flat as a pancake Louisiana and Mississippi. Keep the turbo boost down helps a great deal also.

OP
OP
jkitchen

jkitchen

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Has anyone thought of adding a chip to boost MPG

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Has anyone thought of adding a chip to boost MPG

Doesn't work. You cant cheat physics. Otherwise Ford would just sell vehicles with eco tunes...oh wait, they do. It just limits throttle response... basically the same as driving with a light right foot.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As others have said, if you have the 3.5 EcoBoost, premium gets you about a 10% improvement in fuel economy when towing.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually the best gas saving device is your right foot! I've been pulling at 60-62 mph max and get 9 to 9.5 mpg. In a 55 mph zone I'll get almost 10 mpg. I run 65 psi in my BFG KO2's on the tow vehicle and 75-80 psi on the trailer tires (Goodyear Endurance) I mostly tow short distances in flat as a pancake Louisiana and Mississippi. Keep the turbo boost down helps a great deal also.
Curious what the KO2’***** was. Use to run them on my old Land Cruiser which got 11mpg regardless of anything done to improve mileage . Running BFG trail Terrain on the Expedition and really liking them. Best average hit from stock tires might be just shy of 1mpg at highway speeds. Heavy tow pack 20-23mpg long trip averages nakid no trailer is pretty standard. Guessing the KO’s are a bigger hit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65