Bf Goodrich T/A KO2's ? Will I hate the ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gobigred5

Reaction score
anyone have these on their expedition? do you like them ? I know I should probably just pull the trigger on the michelin m /s2 or the new defender LTX, but I think this tire will look so much better on the truck. (2011 expedition) this will put me in a LT tire instead of the P rated tire. I think a little stiffer side wall would actually be beneficial. my expedition seems to float a little when cornering.

I don't really need off road capabilities. like everyone else I drive on paved roads 95% of the time. I do like the idea of good snow traction. Everyone seems to think these are better in the snow than the all season highway tire. How bad is the road handling of these tires compared to a good all season highway tire? some people say the noise is bad and others say that this is quiet tire.

any help is appreciated.

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife was recently running these on her 2004 Expy and they handle great and have plenty of grip but definitely tend to have a lot of road noise. If you dont mind them being a bit loud they are all around really great tires. We ended up switching over to the Yokohama Geolander A/T and they are just as grippy and chunky but ride a lot smoother and much quieter. I believe they are a bit cheaper as well.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are considering the M/S2, the KO2 tires will be nothing like those. The M/S2 is a great tire and so is the KO2, but they serves different market segments- basically opposite ends of the spectrum.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had an older version of the KOs on my Mountaineer several years ago and I had a love/hate relationship with them. The ride wasn't too bad, the grip was awesome (even just for taking corners on dry streets), but the treadlife ... omfg the tread life. I wore 2 sets down to the legal minimum tread depth at less than 35K per set. The first time I got Sam's Club to just replace them for the cost of install (~$60 at the time). The second time I gave up and switched to the Michelin LTX. For what it's worth, I despised the Michelins for both cornering and rain performance after coming from the KOs, but I put nearly 60K on them and they still had another year left in them when I sold my Mountaineer.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting read, I've owned both and a couple sets of both. My advice is if you never go off road (99.9% of Expedition owners) go with the standard LTX. If you go off road some I would go with the LTX AT2 which is what I have on my truck. If you are off road everyday I would look at the BFG but the biggest complaint I had when I ran them was they sucked in the rain once you got to 5/32s. They also had a huge tendency to be hard to balance and separate at random inconvenient times. My advice is that unless you are a Game Warden, construction worker, power and light or similar user go with the LTX MS or if you must the AT2.

As far as wear I've only run them on 1/2 ton trucks and 3/4 ton trucks, the 1/2 tons lasted about 50-60K miles but it was running around at close to 7,000 lbs day in and day out. The 3/4 ton was running around in the 8,200 lb range and lasted about 40K miles before a tire shredded taking out part of the bed and some of the 5th wheel fiberglass. After some going around they did pay to fix the truck and trailer but that was the last set I purchased.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Don't confuse the Ko2's with the KO's. They are completely different tires.
I had Ko's on the expedition and was quite pleased with them. Winter traction was the only place where they had any issues at all.

That being said, I have KO2's on the Excursion and couldn't be happier with them. Last winter they stuck like glue no matter what the roads looked like. You're always going to give up some comfort with an all terrain tire. These handle so much better than the highway tires that were on the Excursion when I bought it. So much less "floaty"

OP
OP
G

gobigred5

Reaction score
I checked prices at a tire store and started with the michelin ltx m/s2 and the newer ltx defender tire. After those two I asked the tire guy about the K02's. he laughed and said I don't want those tires. I was surprised because they were a bf goodrich dealer and had them displayed in the store.

he said the ride would be terrible and that they were loud on the road. he also said the wet and snow traction would be much worse than either of the ltx tires I priced. This was the opposite of what I've read....

I'm probably leaning to the new ltx defender. It doesn't look as good, but it is probably better for my needs. it is also cheaper.....

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the KO/2's on my 2008 and really like them. Surprisingly good in the rain but cornering isn't as great as my last set of tires.