BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 - 275/55R20 - Installed Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UTEngineer

Reaction score
Finally made the decision to upgrade the stock 275/55R20 tires on our 2017 Ford Expedition EL Limited to tow our heavy travel trailer (8,500 to 9,000 lbs fully loaded).

Was hoping to increase the load capacity of our tires to at least a “C” rating (6 ply) ... preferably an “E” rating (10-ply) ... and also having the 3-peak snow performance designation if possible.

As you can imagine, the selection of stock size tires was very limited when trying to match these two criteria.

I had finally settled on a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 tires which had the “E” load rating and the 3-peak snow designation.

Unfortunately I was unable to locate all 4 tires in a matching set utilizing several major dealers who checked throughout the US.

The fallback was these BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires which are a “D” load rating (8 ply) and also have the 3-peak snow rating.

I was apprehensive getting these tires simply because of a poor previous experience where they wore at an accelerated wear rate and I only got 35,000 miles out of a set. (original KO’s on a 2001 - 1/2 ton truck)

So it will be interesting to see how many miles we get out of these tires on our Expedition.

upload_2020-10-3_21-49-59.jpeg
upload_2020-10-3_21-50-28.jpeg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a couple sets of the KOs but never the KO2s. I know several people with them and they love them.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is the ride and what PSI? I've been considering Cooper AT3 "E" but am concerned about ride, handling, acceleration, and mpg. I'm also 4x2 and only see grass and gravel lots, so all terrain might be overkill, but I would hate to get stuck with the trailer hooked. We tow a few thousand miles per year but we also do a lot of shorter trips around town.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is the ride and what PSI? I've been considering Cooper AT3 "E" but am concerned about ride, handling, acceleration, and mpg. I'm also 4x2 and only see grass and gravel lots, so all terrain might be overkill, but I would hate to get stuck with the trailer hooked. We tow a few thousand miles per year but we also do a lot of shorter trips around town.
E rated is mostly about handling and safety when towing.

OP
OP
UTEngineer

UTEngineer

Reaction score

Ride quality is totally dependent on air pressure ... I run 45 psi when not towing ... they are a slight bit stiffer riding ... but honestly ... hardly noticeable. But our Expedition is the wife’s car that I sometimes drive on the weekends. So this is coming from someone that drives a 1-ton Duramax with. Lift and 35’s ... almost everything rides softer than that.

mobes

Reaction score
@UTEngineer I am in the same boat. Have Michelin's now, they are great, but would like to move to an LT tire for travel trailer towing. I've previously had Cooper AT3 and ATP on other tow rigs and they were great, they would be my go-to but they are only available in E load range in this size. The BFGs have also been great to me in the past (original KO's on a 90's F150) and are available in a D load rating in this factory 20" size.

How are they working out for you so far?

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have those tires and they are comfortable at 45 psi. I air em up to 70 psi when towing and zero issues.

OP
OP
UTEngineer

UTEngineer

Reaction score
@UTEngineer I am in the same boat. Have Michelin's now, they are great, but would like to move to an LT tire for travel trailer towing. I've previously had Cooper AT3 and ATP on other tow rigs and they were great, they would be my go-to but they are only available in E load range in this size. The BFGs have also been great to me in the past (original KO's on a 90's F150) and are available in a D load rating in this factory 20" size.

How are they working out for you so far?

Sorry for the delayed response … been traveling for work & vacation so minimal internet time.

BFGoodrich All-Terrains in a D ply rating have been working well on my wife’s 2017 EL Limited. Trick is to rotate them every 3,000 miles since they have are an open shoulder tire with a soft rubber compound … and my wife like to wear off the edges taking corners too fast. They are significantly stiffer than the stock 4-ply junk tires … but that was to be expected.

Rob L

Reaction score
do you have any overall photos of the truck with the new tires? my Ex has 22" wheels so i'm sure it will be even more difficult finding tires for it.