Bilstein 5100, 4600 & New Coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rameredit

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a '12 Expedition EL (no air leveling). My struts are shot, springs are tired. I'd like to put new coils all around, 5100s up front and 4600s (no 5100s available, right?) on the rear.

The 4600 rears are easy as Bilstein has a part number for those.

Can somebody point me toward the correct part number for the adjustable height F150 5100s for the front?

And, for the coils. I know OEM Ford coils are available. Anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket spring that is quality and will have a ride similar to OEM?

Thanks!

OP
OP
R

rameredit

Reaction score
Sweet. That link will definitely help out although I'm still trying to figure out which 5100s to use up front. I believe I read somewhere here that the 07-14 front ends are different than the laters? That link was for a '16.

Either way, that thread will surely come in handy!

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you planning on lifting/leveling the truck with the 5100s??
If you are not don’t bother with the 5100s and just get the Expedition 4600s. The 5100s and 4600s are valved just the same.
The 5100s have a slightly longer body and of course the moveable snap ring to adjust the perch height to accommodate the lift.

If you are going to lift it using the 5100s.
I BELIEVE the part number is BIL-24-239394
I am pretty sure that is from the F150s (pre14) that utilize the single bolt through the shock eyelet vs. the new crossbar through the shock with two bolts to the LCA.
Again, I believe that is the part number but have no personal experience with them like I do the newer model.

And you are correct that there are no compatible 5100s for the rear of the Expeditions.

As for the springs unless you go custom I would not go with anything aside from OEM. All you will find is crap Chinese OEM replacements that won’t last.
Eibach makes a front spring for the F150 that is a bit stiffer and adds a slight lift (.75” if memory serves correctly) but with the large difference our spring rates made from the F150s as I found out in that linked post. I certainly would not go with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rameredit

Reaction score
Are you planning on lifting/leveling the truck with the 5100s??
If you are not don’t bother with the 5100s and just get the Expedition 4600s. The 5100s and 4600s are valved just the same.
The 5100s have a slightly longer body and of course the moveable snap ring to adjust the perch height to accommodate the lift.

If you are going to lift it using the 5100s.
I BELIEVE the part number is BIL-24-239394
I am pretty sure that is from the F150s (pre14) that utilize the single bolt through the shock eyelet vs. the new crossbar through the shock with two bolts to the LCA.
Again, I believe that is the part number but have no personal experience with them like I do the newer model.

And you are correct that there are no compatible 5100s for the rear of the Expeditions

Hey Black. Thx for that. I'll look into that part number further.

My intention is to lift/level it up front w/ the 5100. I'm not sure which is a better idea really - 4600s all around or a mix - w/o using spacers up front.

I need a bit of height out of this thing and need a WAY better ride. At 105k, this thing is so floppy/loose/bouncy - it's scary!

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went no spacer up front and wish there was a way to do the rear without a spacer.
While spacers work and better than nothing they are not the ideal design.
Here is a quick little video explaining why.

We’re lucky with independent suspension that spacers still ride fairly well. Solid axles not so much.

Not sure what you are planning with your rig but if any off roading is in your plan since you are replacing springs I would go with the 6112s up front. You gain a much bigger shock and new spring.

I waffled on the 6112s and decided against them solely because ICON says they have a kit for us in development.
$227 for front replacements that will likely be pulled off once I have the cash for the ICONS if they actually come to fruition is much easier to swallow than $675.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m planning on installing Bilstiens today but just noticed that they don’t have the collar that goes over the height adjustment ring. Am I supposed to have those? None of the four have it in the box. The install videos online show the collar going over the ring.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nevermind, I read the Bilstein instructions closer and it looks like the 2015 spring seats take the place of that collar. I guess they fit tight enough to not need that collar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker