Bilstein 5100 Lift Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
Thanks Robert--that sucks b/c 1.5 all around with a 1 inch taller tire would have made it perfect for me. Can 1.5 even be achieved with the F150 shocks? Or is that a 1inch, 2inch, 3 inch? I want to keep my rake for towing and such...

WAIT, just re-read the "lowest" F150 yields nearly 3-inch of front lift, correct?

Looks like if I want to go mild, my only choice is the Expys 5100s at 1-inch front, 1.5 inch rear.

Can someone with the Expy 5100s tell me if there is an "in-between" on the rear (1 inch lift for the rear?). My rake is pretty mild factory, and I don't know what .5 extra might do to it, as I run empty most of the time...

Any before and after pics with the 5100 Expy 1-1.5 inch lift?
Can’t speak for certain but pics IVe seen online Show 3-4 snap ring placements on the expedition 5100s which tells me you can either do stock height or 3 other heights up to 1.5”. The OP I believe put f150 5100 shocks on his but they relate to much more of lift measurements like you stated above the stock setting being around 2” already

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Robert--that sucks b/c 1.5 all around with a 1 inch taller tire would have made it perfect for me. Can 1.5 even be achieved with the F150 shocks? Or is that a 1inch, 2inch, 3 inch? I want to keep my rake for towing and such...

WAIT, just re-read the "lowest" F150 yields nearly 3-inch of front lift, correct?

Looks like if I want to go mild, my only choice is the Expys 5100s at 1-inch front, 1.5 inch rear.

Can someone with the Expy 5100s tell me if there is an "in-between" on the rear (1 inch lift for the rear?). My rake is pretty mild factory, and I don't know what .5 extra might do to it, as I run empty most of the time...

Any before and after pics with the 5100 Expy 1-1.5 inch lift?

The installation guide that came with my 5100’s indicated the lift amounts. I ordered the ones meant for the expedition. If I remember correctly, you can download the installation guides from Bilstein’s website.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
WakeBoarder, thank you for directing me there. Apparently, the same shocks produce different results 2014-2017 (1 inch max lift), 2018-2020 (1.6 max lift). I will order them in the next few weeks, and do an exacting write up/meausrements on exactly what I get out of them.

https://productdesk.cart.bilsteinus.com//media/products/bilstein/E4-WM5-Y617A00_0.pdf
To make even more confusion, it also states that for a 2016 (my model year) it depends on if you have regular suspension or CCD/ old leveling as to what height you get. See below. 98852942-2F3D-4FB2-8CE1-32438B5593EA.jpeg

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
Rears are a different part number and are adjustable in 0.4" increments (more adjustment locations) vs the front in 0.8" increments.
Right but what I’m saying is that @Expedition Dave stated that 15-17 yield 1” while 18+ Yield 1.6” but bilstein then claims that a 15-17 CAN yield 1.6” of front suspension height if you don’t have CCD

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK so, I don't have the CCD so can I expect 1.6 inches fore and aft? I will also call Bilstein to confirm, b/c as a member here stated a 1 inch front lift is "hardly worth the effort" but a 1.5 is "just right for me." I'd rather not play with the F150 shocks up front...

I would love more factory lift (hello Ford), but I think my adding a 1.5 inch all around would hardly raise the ire (it may be near unnoticeable but just look a bit more 4x4) of a service manager if there is a suspension/trans issue under warranty.

I also think a 1.5 inch lift would stay more within spec for ride, alignment, handling, bumper height, etc. But don't get me wrong, the 3/2s look awesome!

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK so, I don't have the CCD so can I expect 1.6 inches fore and aft? I will also call Bilstein to confirm, b/c as a member here stated a 1 inch front lift is "hardly worth the effort" but a 1.5 is "just right for me." I'd rather not play with the F150 shocks up front...

I would love more factory lift (hello Ford), but I think my adding a 1.5 inch all around would hardly raise the ire (it may be near unnoticeable but just look a bit more 4x4) of a service manager if there is a suspension/trans issue under warranty.

I also think a 1.5 inch lift would stay more within spec for ride, alignment, handling, bumper height, etc. But don't get me wrong, the 3/2s look awesome!
From the manual/install instructions, the front does appear to give 1.6" on the highest setting (I'm not sure anyone here has put a tape measure on it, as a lot have gone with the F150 fronts, and/or different tires/rims).

The readilift only looks good with larger tires, though. If you are going for a moderate lift/level, to me, it seems 5100 at top ring and rear at middle ring will lift it and level to the point that the rake is not noticeable (or middle ring front and bottom(?) ring rear to just eliminate the rake).