Bilstein 5100 Lift Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
Update! Finally received my Expy fronts in January (Expy rears and tires came in November) and just got around to having them installed today. Highest setting and moved up from the ~32.5" stock Michelins to a ~33" Toyo. Part# and links below. Rides minimally stiffer but feels like you are sitting significantly higher. Was concerned about road noise as the Toyo AT2's on my F150 were noticeably louder than the stock Pirelli's but the Toyo AT3 is pretty quiet. Overall, very happy with how it turned out and already got a couple compliments at the gas station and car wash! Haha. Time to hit the dirt roads.

View attachment 40473
Looks good! Just to confirm, did you do the highest setting on both the front and the rear (+1.6" in the front and +1.5" in the rear?).

I am doing mine today and going to do 1.6 in the front and 0.7" in the rear which I THINK should get it level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good! Just to confirm, did you do the highest setting on both the front and the rear (+1.6" in the front and +1.5" in the rear?).

I am doing mine today and going to do 1.6 in the front and 0.7" in the rear which I THINK should get it level.

Let us know how that turns out. I’m Still waiting on my order of these since Dec.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
Yes, highest setting on both. Inlaws have a level driveway.

PXL_20210228_222859756~2.jpg PXL_20210228_222926213~3.jpg

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Matt, please post pics, but after looking at Eric's setup two things come to mind:

1) Seriously Ford? Why is this lift/tire combo not the FX4 package?!
2) I am lamenting my putting off my own changes due to my 10,000 mile "Where on a Covid World Tour Trip..."

Still on the fence for tires though... I may need another Foz PM to talk me down :birgits_tiredcoffee

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
I installed my Bilsteins yesterday. I went with the top setting on the front (+1.6") and the 2nd to top setting on the back (+1.1"). This gave me a net lift in the front of 0.5" which exactly what I needed to get it leveled. I am measuring level from the top of my tire to the bottom of the fender well.

Obviously, if you want more rake you could set the rears to the top setting which is +1.5".

Right now I still have my stock tires (275/55/20). I will be installing 275/60/20s at the end of the week.

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
Hard to tell much from this picture (only one I have at the moment) but you can tell it's more level and there is additional clearance in the wheel wells vs stock. I will post additional pics when I get the tires on. 9791c92cfef7a8816637df9c5ac97869.jpg

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rears pull themselves forward as you lift, but do the fronts remain the same as lifted?

Technically, lifting these rigs "shortens" our wheelbase a bit to the point where 35s and a 2+ inch rear lift almost kiss the front part of the rear fender.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rears pull themselves forward as you lift, but do the fronts remain the same as lifted?

Technically, lifting these rigs "shortens" our wheelbase a bit to the point where 35s and a 2+ inch rear lift almost kiss the front part of the rear fender.
Do they rears really pull forward, or is it the optical illusion caused by there being a much bigger gap at the top vs the front, after the lift?

rx7gslse

Reaction score
Here is pic of my Bilstein lifted Expy vs my mom's stock ride height King Ranch. You can see the wheel well gap difference. Mine is still on stock tire size of 275/55/20. Will be going up this week.

Max height on F and R?