Bilstein 5100 Lift Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3DogRanch

Reaction score
I'm running the 4WD F-150 5100 front's on the lowest stock setting and Expy rears on the highest setting. I was running the RL 3/2 before, and I'd say the stance is pretty close. The ride is a vast improvement over the RL w/ stock struts/shocks. Also replaced the stock UCA's with the ICON tubular Deltajoint UCA's that come with the full Expy ICON coilover lift kit.

Yep, @CE750 that looks about perfect to me.

I only wish that Bushwacker would make fender flares for the Expy like I had on the Tundra.

utmeep

Reaction score
'18+ Those that went from the RL to Bilstein (F150 4WD front) and had 35s on stock 18s are there any issues or is the Bilstein lift the same as the RL? I am about to have the lift done and am in the middle of selecting tires. Thanks!

Did mine today with F150 4WD front at the bottom and expedition rear at the top.

A1587B70-42DE-451C-A302-D53779B8C747.jpeg

Last edited:

TBaganATX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'18+ Those that went from the RL to Bilstein (F150 4WD front) and had 35s on stock 18s are there any issues or is the Bilstein lift the same as the RL? I am about to have the lift done and am in the middle of selecting tires. Thanks!

Did mine today with F150 4WD front at the bottom and expedition rear at the top.

View attachment 36740

Did you happen to measure yours before and after? I had mine done and I should have measured but didn't. I went 6112 4wd bottom setting, seems like I need to raise it again. Being I changed the spring as well.. I think I under estimated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I am a little confused. Is all of this b/c the 5100s for the Expy do not have any more lift than 1 inch on the highest setting, and the F150 5100 offers more lift options?

In the next two months, I am looking for a 1.5 inch front and rear (maybe 1.75 inch rear, not much rake from the factory). I want to keep the CVs/driveline reasonable with the option of adding maybe a slightly taller tire in the future.

Is the Bilstein company fully aware of what these shocks do to the Expy, or is it a case of experimenting here to find out what works? Thx!

And please UTMEET, post more & larger pics since I want to keep factory rims! Looks amazing!! How much lift did you get and how is the ride?

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I am a little confused. Is all of this b/c the 5100s for the Expy do not have any more lift than 1 inch on the highest setting, and the F150 5100 offers more lift options?

In the next two months, I am looking for a 1.5 inch front and rear (maybe 1.75 inch rear, not much rake from the factory). I want to keep the CVs/driveline reasonable with the option of adding maybe a slightly taller tire in the future.

Is the Bilstein company fully aware of what these shocks do to the Expy, or is it a case of experimenting here to find out what works? Thx!

And please UTMEET, post more & larger pics since I want to keep factory rims! Looks amazing!! How much lift did you get and how is the ride?

Correct. The 5100’s for the f150 front yield about 3” lift when used on the expy at the lowest setting....and that is the max you can go with stock CA’s and drive geometry. The 5100’s for the expy get you like 1” or 1.5” max....hardly worth it.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Expy 5100 shocks and reported it is only good for 1.5 inches? May sound strange here, but only looking for a 1.5 inch lift, as I want to keep the CV's / suspension functioning close to stock, and have a lift so mild the dealership hardly ever notices it or takes issue if there is a driveline problem.

Also, if I add tires they will only be 33s of similar width on factory rims.

A 1-inch lift does seem a little "lowish," but a 1.5 all around might be just what I am looking for.

TBaganATX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running the 4WD F-150 5100 front's on the lowest stock setting and Expy rears on the highest setting. I was running the RL 3/2 before, and I'd say the stance is pretty close. The ride is a vast improvement over the RL w/ stock struts/shocks. Also replaced the stock UCA's with the ICON tubular Deltajoint UCA's that come with the full Expy ICON coilover lift kit.

f044a4bf73cc473099046d3feb881c5c.jpg

Finally got mine completed. Only difference is I went with the 6112 for 18+ F150 4wd.. I think the Bilstein spring is either softer or shorter.. I didn't measure before but I think I screwed myself. With new Icon UCAs and the 6112 upfront I have a rake. [emoji2357] So when I add my Sumo spring back it's going to look hideous.. Do you happen to know what the measurement is center hub to the fender is? It drives awesome.. just not happy with the stance.. [emoji36]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on the Bilstein 5100's (i am going Expy version all the way around as I am not lifting - just needing to replace leaky stock struts.) I found the below on shockwarehouse.com. Has anyone seen a better deal out there?

Bilstein.JPG