Black Sooty exhaust pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully I am not making a mountain out of a mole hill.......but........

My 2017 with less than 9K miles on it has what I think is not normal. The exhaust pipe has black sooty residue (inside). Is this normal? I've not noticed this type of build up on other vehicles I've owned? Yes, some black but not this much. Admittedly I seem to pay attention to this when I wash the vehicle so maybe the 'wetness' causes it to seem worse than it is??? Is this an EcoBoost thing? or a breaking in thing? or I'm just over reacting????

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

My 2017 with less than 9K miles on it has what I think is not normal. The exhaust pipe has black sooty residue (inside). Is this normal? I've not noticed this type of build up on other vehicles I've owned? Yes, some black but not this much. Admittedly I seem to pay attention to this when I wash the vehicle so maybe the 'wetness' causes it to seem worse than it is??? Is this an EcoBoost thing? or a breaking in thing? or I'm just over reacting????

It is a Direct Injection thing, and is worse on Direct injected Turbo motors(Ecoboost). Look at any other EB exhaust pipe and you will see the same.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. The exhaust is the same.

I also own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ with the direct injection 3.6L engine. The exhaust bezels are coated with black soot and require cleaning often.

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s unburnt fuel.

When you floor it, to keep exhaust temps down, most engines will dump fuel to run rich.

If you are ever behind someone who floors it to pass, you’ll likely see a small puff of black when they do it.

Not much you can do other than adjusting your driving habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate the quick responses. Thanks for the input. I'll rest more easy now. Guess I'll get a rag and 'wash' the exhaust at each washing of the vehicle now too.

thanks again everyone for the input

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normal. I had a 2016 SS camaro that was DI non Turbo that had the same and like someone else said when I floored it, black smoke would blow out of it, very noticeable in the rear view mirror. When I brought in for a free oil change, the chevy mechanic said the same, it's normal for GDI motors.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
normal for our engines,
and all other DI engines, its still runs lean or rich depending on what the ecm requires based on a host of parameters.
still light years ahead of carburetor on fuel precision