Black w/ a little carbon fiber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are just a few pics of my project to turn my truck all black.

I used plastidip for the emblems and was going to use that for the door handles too, but I found this 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber film instead. I am also using it for the interior.

The emblem is hard to tell how good it looks, because I finished up at night. I will try and take some pictures during the day tomorrow for a better look. I also need to wash it!

I am also planning on doing the whole dash where the wood trim is. I am also going to do the chrome strip on the tail gate in carbon fiber and have plastidiped those emblems too.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• Door Handle.jpg
    Door Handle.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 565
  • Emblem.jpg
    Emblem.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 315
  • Steering Wheel.jpg
    Steering Wheel.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 235

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like you're off to a great start!

You have controls on your steering . . I miss that, my 98 doesn't have it.

For project stuff, please post the materials used and where you bought it so other people can more easily repro por favor.

You should see the look on people faces as I go around here asking for PlastiDip etc, buying the vinyl off ebay would be another hit or miss thing.

THX

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good. Pic posting pics and updates as you go along

OP
OP
FlyBoyd

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a good point.

I got the plastidip from Ace Hardware. One of the few places that still sell it. There are some others, but that's about it.

The 3m Di-Noc is at Carbon Fiber Film | Dedicated To Selling 3M Carbon Fiber DI-NOC Vinyl

NOTE: It is NOT actual carbon fiber. It is just a film. I am a huge carbon fiber lover and only go with the real stuff, however I love this film because unlike most it looks just like carbon fiber. You would be hard pressed to tell by looking at it it's not. Also for my applications that I wanted carbon fiber, it would be astronomical to have those pieces made from real carbon fiber. Trust me it looks great!

Here are a few more pics during the day as well as the back emblems. What I love about the plastidip is that is allows you to still see the EXPEDITION on the emblem instead of just a black painted rectangle. One day I will get them removed but until then this is a good interim solution. I am a little worried about how it's going to hold up when I wash the beast, but well see.

I am going to work on the chrome strip on the tail gate tonight and should have pictures up soon. I need to order some more for the roof rack, so I have to wait for shipping on that, as well as more for the interior. They just got some gloss black stuff that looks great on the interior while the matte black looks better on the outside.

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 314
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Steering Wheel (2).jpg
    Steering Wheel (2).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 393

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thx for the info!

I recall seeing something on fleabay that is textured and was supposed to be supperior, I don't know if this is the stuff or not.

Do you have to heat it any to make it more malleable?

OP
OP
FlyBoyd

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thx for the info!

I recall seeing something on fleabay that is textured and was supposed to be supperior, I don't know if this is the stuff or not.

Do you have to heat it any to make it more malleable?

A heat gun is definitely recommended, it helps mold it around the corners. Also there is a 3M Primer that I used. This will ensure that even if it's 100 degrees outside it wont peel away. I've heard if you try to use that stuff without the primer in heat like Las Vegas it will peel. I've had no issues the last couple of days and it's been hot here.

On a side note I also used the primer on the emblems for the plastidip. Not sure if it will help bond it better, but I figured it can't hurt.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have you thought of using the CF vinyl on the mirrors?

OP
OP
FlyBoyd

FlyBoyd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have you thought of using the CF vinyl on the mirrors?

I actually just thought about that today in fact. The problem is I don't want to put on too much. I just want enough to look good. Once I do the luggage rack and tail gate piece I will take a look at see if it wouldn't detract from the overall look of the truck.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just about to ask if you made those carbon fiber parts your self because they look great and good finishes are hard to get. I thought the carbon fiber parts looked pretty real so great job. Real parts would be really difficult and super expensive. Keep it up.