Blend Door Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevmobile

Reaction score
Hi there- info about my Expy
2002 XLT, no EATC

I recently replaced my heater core after having gaseous coolant flood my cabin. It leaked a ton of coolant, and long story short soaked the blend door actuator.

I ordered a new actuator, replaced it, and it is not working.. I plugged it in, and it immediately spins the motor. I disassembled the actuator, and it just constantly spins the motor. It does not stop, ever.

I have tested, and replaced the potentiometer for the heat/cold. I have tested that I have +12V at the connector for the actuator. I have tested for the differences in resistance between the pins of the potentiometer at the actuator connector.

I am at a loss for words. The truck interior has been disassembled for the past month while diagnosing this.

I would like some guidance in what to do next, I am thinking of getting a new actuator but don't want to keep pouring money into the pos.

Calabrio

Reaction score
I don't presume to know the solution here, nor am I likely going to have the answer.

But was it working before you replace the blend door actuator? And what part number did you replace it with?

Rob_V

Reaction score
Check the actual blend door for breakage where the acutator goes into. It is plastic. My blend door was broken, actuator works. I did this on my 1997 Exp XLT and was not a bad job and you can never see it. This is how i "fixed" my broken blend door. You cut with a dremel tool and then seal with duct tape. I just put it on AC in May and Heat in October, not worth for me right now to pull out center console to fix this.

OP
OP
Kevmobile

Kevmobile

Reaction score
So to give some more backstory, it was working correctly before I had the leaking heater core. Guy at the parts counter sold me an actuator used for EATC equipped trucks.. bozo.

Anyways, new part is otw to my house, and will update soon. I presume that to be the issue, as it worked fine prior to being flooded with coolant. I took the old one apart and it was 100% corroded.

To reply to Rob, I have replaced the blend door with a metal one, that is not the issue fortunately.

OP
OP
Kevmobile

Kevmobile

Reaction score
This was fixed with the correct blend door part. Get the OEM Motorcraft unit or Dorman.. Mine is some knockoff and didnt have full range of motion

Ramon Triton

Reaction score
unless you really really need or want it, maybe just shut the blend door completely and condemn that motor that just spins.

that is what i plan to do with mine since my blend door is stuck open and i really would like to keep it closed (max AC) all the time anyway.

Ramon Triton

Reaction score
Btw, how difficult was it to get to the blend door/actuator?

was youtubing it and only saw two ways, one required cutting some material away (less dissassembly) the other had most of the dash removed just to get to it.

man i wish they just made it a manual mechanical lever that closed/opened a flap.

mhamer98

Reaction score
unless you really really need or want it, maybe just shut the blend door completely and condemn that motor that just spins.

that is what i plan to do with mine since my blend door is stuck open and i really would like to keep it closed (max AC) all the time anyway.
How would I do that?

Ramon Triton

Reaction score
find a way to access the blend door somehow, tape it shut with duct tape or something. and just stick to max AC forever. (i am in a tropical clime).