Blown out sparkplug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dwm1294

dwm1294

Reaction score
Thanks someone recommend a solid insert said it would work better with my situation

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

JB1258

Reaction score
I am not trying to butt in have you looked in the plug hole and you can see the piston? also this is one of the engines that had the bad plugs in it the porcelain may be blown out and you need to use the tool that you can rent at any parts store and get the rest of the plug out . I just think you need to make sure .Hamfisted is on here quite a bit and seems to be pretty sharp but I would make sure that there is no plug parts still there good luck this could be a real easy fix or a real BXXh to fix

OP
OP
dwm1294

dwm1294

Reaction score
Appreciate the concern all of the plug is still intact and I ran a bore scope down the sparkplug hole and everything looks good just still have fingers crossed about the large divet at the top of sparkplug hole

TomB985

Reaction score
Yikes...think you'll need a new head. Was it making any abnormal noise before the blowout? Often they sound like an exhaust leak as the plug loosens up before they come apart.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appreciate the concern all of the plug is still intact and I ran a bore scope down the sparkplug hole and everything looks good just still have fingers crossed about the large divet at the top of sparkplug hole

If it is just at the top of the threads and not over 2-3 threads down you will ok with a solid insert like timesert.

You might want to jb weld the outer gap part after the insert is in. JB original is better than JB Quick and I would use the liquid and not the stick and form it as it sets up.

If you cant fix it pull the head and take to machine shop.
They can certainly fix it even if they need to weld it up and re-thread the hole or weld tap and add insert...but then you have the probably recommendation to do the other 3 while it's there.... might not be a bad idea.

OP
OP
dwm1294

dwm1294

Reaction score
Thanks if I can't do it then I will take it some place if I can find a affordable one around my little town. Maybe I should take up specialty welding

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can fix it! You could even melt some Led in Port on the side of the Time-Sert once it's in as long as you threaded something into the Time-Sert so they couldn't fall into the piston.
J-B Weld it up and let it sit overnight. It will be fine.
And I don't see what miles has to do with it or which engine. If it ran fine and you were getting along before this happen then it will be the same way once you fix this back. You might decide to sell it when you're done but you still need to fix it because if you dump it now with one plug blown out it's going to be worth far less.